• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Almost Time!

Im excited for this as well. Ive never tried fishing these before but im def going to bust out the ultra light this year. Do u guy mostly fish these guys witg worms? I have to find a stream in the metro that holds these fish. I got the open water bug bad thia year and im excited to try somthing new.

Tony, crawlers will work fine on suckers. I know a few of us guys on here target them with a fly rod. Sometimes fishing a nymph with a fly rod can be the most effective way to catch them, especially when they are stacked up tight. It can be a challenge not to foul hook them, especially with conventional tackle.

San Juan Worms, hares ear soft hackle. These are the two I use the most.

I fish pretty shallow water, so I don't weight mine too heavily or it tends to spook them. I prefer to use a brass beadhead and no lead for a softer presentation.

Last year I used a 6wt exclusively, this year I've got a 7 that I'll be trying out. If it's not soft enough, I'll go back to the 6. It's able to handle the fish, though I'm not horsing them around by any means. It's kind of like when you hook into a huge pike while walleye fishing. You just hang on for the ride.

a 4, 5, or 6 weight rod will work fine for sporing sucker fishing. I like prince nymphs, pheasant tail nymphs, or other simple nymph patterns. I bring a couple of different weighted flies depending on where the fish are holding. In shallow water, light flies are key, but I seem to find fish stacked up near fast water, trying to make their way past an upstream barrier. Sometimes you need some heavily weighted flies to get them to hang in the zone. Not much casting for this style of fishing, mainly just fishing with the leader out and dapping your fly through runs.

@itchmesir: portions of the root will take longer to warm up due to the groundwater influence on many runs. a lot of little creeks up north will have runs of fish earlier due to water coming out of shallow dark bottomed bogs, as the water tends to warm up faster than a spring creek. Water temp is critical to get fish moving....

Really? Redhorse and carp start to run after thaw? down on the root you don't see a huge run til late april early may

we got these and many other the last week in march not sure what the water temp was but the fish were therefull-15313-6578-003.jpg

full-15313-6580-011.jpg

full-15313-6581-005.jpg

yesterday...

first carp of 2010

untitled-2.jpg

white suckers

185602_10150113327284934_696349933_65551

200806_10150114150134934_696349933_65619

189688_10150113327979934_696349933_65551

198736_10150113327599934_696349933_65551

it was quite entertaining how hamy looks i was getting fishing in a like a 30 foot strech of open water lmao. a guy even stopped and laughed saying i wasnt going to catch anything, and right when he said that, i hooked into the biggest white sucker of the day! ( first white sucker pic)

also had a bit of fun watching walleyes!

walleye2.jpg

walleye3.jpg

walleye4.jpg