• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

any mechs out there questions on a rotax motor

faatman

Very confusing got sled running ran for half hour and just died in the ditch. Added more gas, checked for air box blockage, plugs out nice chocolate brown. Compression test was 150 on pto side 130 on clutch side. Cleaned the carbs checked for spark was good. Got it to fire up without carbs on it. Put the carbs back on and could not get to fire, pulled fuel lines off is pumping fuel up bowls on carbs are full. Primed it alot and still no run plugs did not seem that wet. The rotary behind the carbs was spinning, can that become out of time with the motor? Do i got a leak in the crank seal? Only thing i have not done is pulled the exhaust and check for a blockage. Or do i just have it that flooded. That was three days ago now today firepopped on first, second pull with no primer. Very baffeled looking for ideas. Sorry it is a formula 500 liquid thanks to any info!!!

Since it fired without the carbs on it I would guess it is flooded. I would look into a leaking needle/seat. Did you try taking the plugs out, pulling it over while holding a torch over the spark plug hole and see if there is excess gas in the cylinder?

Quote:
Very confusing got sled running ran for half hour and just died in the ditch.
Was it running ok and died suddenly or just slowly petered out?
Quote:
The rotary behind the carbs was spinning, can that become out of time with the motor?
It can but unless you have messed with it, thats not likely.
Quote:
Primed it alot and still no run plugs did not seem that wet
Plugs should not be wet unless it is flooding.

Quote:
150 on pto side 130 on clutch side
This is a clue that one side of the case may have raw fuel in it. Have the carbs been apart and cleaned recently?

if the plugs are even a slight bit wet, take the plugs out, remove carbs, take muffler off and pull it untill it seems to dry up then get a torch and insert flame into spark plug hole and remove and if it burns for more than 5 seconds its flooded. its fine if it keeps burning for a while, just keep a fire exthuinsher handy just in case. once its dry install pipe and plugs and leave carbs ofF AND DRIVE BELT. pull it untill it starts. ( immeditally hit the kill switch when it starts to wind up)

in extreme cases you may need to tip sled upside down with plugs out and pull it to get all fluids out!

also try to taste and smell the smoke when you get it running. if it tastes so bad you have to run away or it smells sweet its probably a blown head gasket.