• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Can you ruin a pointer?

iceman2010

I am wondering if when I take my GSP out for a walk and she starts pointing at a bird, or butterfly or what not, if I just keep walking, and give her a lil tug to let her know to keep walking if this will make her think pointing is not acceptable? This has not happened but I just want to make sure I dont screw up early on and spring is coming!

I have had 2 now and I cant ever see them not pointing my grandfather always said hunting them with flushing dogs will do it, NOT! I think if you ever "ruined" your purebred gsp your going to have alot worse problems with your dog than not pointing. Just my 2 cents.

I've never had a pointer, but here are my thoughts:

#1) Your dog will more than likely be able to distinguish between "work" (ie hunting) time and "play" (ie walks, etc) time. Point in case, in training dogs to pull, they very quickly pick up on the idea that pulling is good when in a harness, but they still walk on leash easily, without pulling. Your pointer should be similar--Dad's got the shotgun. Time to hunt!

#2) If you really want to be careful, don't use a command like "no". Instead, use something like "let's go" or "leave it". That way you won't be teaching him/her not to point, just to leave it alone on your command.

I am wondering if when I take my GSP out for a walk and she starts pointing at a bird, or butterfly or what not, if I just keep walking, and give her a lil tug to let her know to keep walking if this will make her think pointing is not acceptable? This has not happened but I just want to make sure I dont screw up early on and spring is coming!

On a "true" walk (with the leash) your dog shouldn't be able to venture around to be able to point. A choke chain should be used high on the neck to keep the dogs head up and paying attention to what YOU do. Slack when the dog is doing what he is supposed to and a tug to the side when he strays. Allowing your dog to stray around smelling everything and giving him/her the opportunity to point is not really part of the walk. If the dog isn't paying attention to you, then he is the leader (which is not a good thing)

"Walking" is walking time and "Pointing" is hunting time.

Agreeing with Muleshack completely, it probably wouldn't hurt if they pointed something on a walk but that shouldn't ever happen. "heal" should be a popular word in your conversation with the pup-your the boss. Let em' point in the yard if they want, but remember a little tip, when training the dog too much pointing training is NOT good. You want to give them too little at one time-leave them interested and wanting more, We've watched to many people "over" train their pops at the beginning. You can increase time while training once the dog knows why your training, thats when the fun starts on the form and what not.

Yes, you can ruin a pointer. There are many ways to do it. I don't think that is one of them.

Had to chuckle at this response. The same type of questions used to go through my head. My breeder set me straight with a simple "you think too much". Your dog will know the difference between tweeties and roosters, between sidewalks and set-aside. Unless you plan on hunting a lot of tweeties, don't worry about it because walks and hunting will mean two different worlds to your dog.

Yes 870 is exactly right. I don't think you said but I assume you have a young dog. Don't worry about him pointing songbirds, field mice, family cat (mine did that), etc. They are still learning whether or not to trust their nose. Just don't reinforce it. By pulling lightly on the leash to move him along you're doing no harm. He will know the difference when it's game time. I have a 1 yr old GWP and last night she was pointing behind some storage bins in my garage. As I moved the bins away from the wall----we found a raccoon hiding.