• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bass Tracker boats - How do they handle and ride?

fellowx

I want to pick up a Bass Tracker aluminum boat but wondering if anyone has experience with them. How do they ride and handle on the water? The 1st thing that sticks out is the hull design, what are the benefits of having a bow like that? I'm looking for a 17 with hp somewhere between 40-60hp.

I've heard that they can be tippy if weight distribution isn't level.

We have an older (1985) Bass Tracker V-16 with a 20hp tiller that has been a great boat for smaller to mid sized lakes, and even had it on LOW a number of times in some bigger waves. Handled everything we needed it to and it was a good boat to fish out of (mainly walleye). I don't consider it tippy in any way, but I don't know if that is anything like what your looking at.

Can't say I know much of anything about the newer ones though. There is definitely a lot of opinions on them.

A Buddy of mine bought one a few years back PT175 with a 75 on the back and its fast, but the list stops there Its at best two person fishing boat. very hard to fish three. doesnt handle any chop. terrible at turning while on plane. wasted space up front only livewell is in the of the back. all the weight is also back there (batteries). I wouldn't buy one ever!

I do like the look of the deep v trackers though

I have had one over 10 years. It has suited me fine fishing small/medium lakes. I take it to mille lacs only if I know there isn't a bad wind. I would've changed or upgraded if I could've afforded it, but a divorce got in the way. Mine is the 165 and it's tight for 3 people and storage isn't the greatest. I make do with what I have and it's worked for me. Looking back, I think I would've bought something different or did more research before purchasing...wish I knew about FM back then.

I want to pick up a Bass Tracker aluminum boat but wondering if anyone has experience with them. How do they ride and handle on the water? The 1st thing that sticks out is the hull design, what are the benefits of having a bow like that? I'm looking for a 17 with hp somewhere between 40-60hp.

Are you set on a mod v hull? If not check out a Tracker Pro Guide V-16. They are priced about the same and are better suited to MN fishing in my opinion.

My 1st boat was a bass tracker pt 175 w/ 60hp. The boat was good to me, never leaked a drop, shot up on plane quick, was awesome in shallow waters, all around the perfect starter boat for me.

As stated above though its not the best in a medium chop, can be very tippy when waves hit from the side. If you fish smaller lakes this boat would be a great boat for its price range. Try to aim for a 60hp+...

Thanks guys! I've owned a couple boats before with the last being a fish hawk - which I really liked but had to sell. That boat could handle pretty much anything. Now I'm just looking for something that'll ride similar and get me out on the water comfortably without hurting the wallet too much. The bass tracker looked like a good deal but I'll keep looking.

I was in a 16 foot Tracker and made the leap to a 1850 Fishhawk. Obviously they are in different leagues to begin with, but the overall quality, attention to detail, durability, ride, and construction were leaps and bounds apart. Once you are in a Fishhawk, I'm not sure if you could switch to anything else. Maybe a Ranger but even that would be questionable. You were pretty much on the tops for quality fishing machines.