• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Kayak paddle in a canoe?

While paddling with my sons last spring, from the stern, I got a little tired of having to switch paddling sides every 2-3 strokes. I try the J-stroke and other stuff, but I still had to keep switching sides. So I'm wondering... have any of you ever tried a kayak paddle in a canoe? I'm thinking it would work great, but I'm looking to hear what you experts think?

Never have tried it but it may work alright. The only option and obvious one would be to just take up the bow of the canoe and switch seats with your son. You shouldn't have to switch sides every 2-3 strokes. On larger lakes we can often times go for many, many minutes at a time before ever switching sides.

you can sure use a kayak paddle in a canoe, but it works best paddling from the center of the canoe. I feel clumsy doing it from the back.

My only other suggestion is to practice J-strokes more.

It takes practice to be able to need to only paddle on one side of the canoe. I practice (on low or no wind days) figure-8ing around buoys. If you can't figure 8 around buoys by paddling on one side, then you will be switching sides all the time while doing any real canoeing.

I use a kayak paddle in my canoe. I love it. However, if you are using one and the other person in the canoe is not, you have to adjust your strokes since you will have more power on one side than the other. Not tough to do but what I did was get a second kayak paddle for the other person. I spent about fifty bucks on the paddle. Wasn't sure ifI'd like it but I do. I troll by myself quite a bit and this makes it quite simple. Mine are made of aluminum and plastic. They float and also come apart in the middle for transport in the trunk. Some folks don't care for them while canoeing since they might get a bit wet. I haven't really noticed it being an issue, I don't get much more water in the canoe than when using a regular paddle.

I've used a kayak paddle when soloing a canoe. It works pretty well, but I'm a crotchety guy, and I liked having my top hand crosswise and felt it was easier to steer with a traditional paddle, so I stick with my that. Plus, as was mentioned, anyone else paddling the canoe will just make you have to correct a lot anyway.

Are your sons very little? (What I really want to ask is, who's doing all the paddling?) If so, you can just practice for a while and get your different strokes down and wait until they get bigger. If not, kick them in the butt, 'cause they're making you do all the work. grin

When my kids were smaller, both of them would paddle on the same side at the same time, and after a bit of practice, we were practically planing. By the time they were 12 and 13, we pretty much smoked along. Once those two nuts got into a rythm, we could really cover some water. Whichever kid was in the bow seat sets the tempo, and the middle seat matches the stroke.

I have used a kayak paddle on ocassion by myself, and it works out OK, but I seem to get a bit moister than Red indicates.

Nothing at all wrong with it. But kayaks are generally less beamy than canoes (at least they used to be), so you might want to make sure the kayak paddle you're using is long enough that it doesn't hit the gunwales when you paddle.

Thanks for all the insight! Maybe I'll see if we can get out and practice before our trip this year. I end up going out and doing some solo fishing; so I might bring the kayak paddle partially for that purpose.

My sons were 18 and 15 last year. The younger one's kinda lazy! Maybe I should start splashing him - that might get him working!

My sons were 18 and 15 last year. The younger one's kinda lazy! Maybe I should start splashing him - that might get him working!

That might work. You could also offer to stop paddling altogether, and let his older brother "motivate" him into paddling more/ harder to keep the boat moving. cry

One other thing to note is that you don't necessarily have to hew exactly to your line of travel in a canoe. I tend to let myself stray from that idealized line a bit in order to avoid having to switch sides so frequently.

The biggest issue is having someone in the canoe that doesn't know what they are doing. Next time get yourself in the back of the canoe. You can easily adjust the canoe with out having to switch sides.

Typically I do not even step foot in a canoe unless I can steer. To many times I find myself correcting the person who is in back of the canoe. There should not be much switching needed with the appropriate steering knowledge.

Another problem that can make a canoe trip not so fun is someone that is nervous being in the canoe and is constantly trying to correct their balance. It is corrected over time, and practice however. After all we were all once beginners!

A friend of mine and I have been canoeing the flood waters of the minnesota river for years. We both know how we each act in a canoe, we now can both stand in a canoe paddle around and throw a spear with out hardly moving the canoe. It takes some practice but we make a good team canoeing! Makes for a scary ride when you try to stand up in a canoe and the other person keeps rocking it wink

I have been looking into a kayak paddle for my canoes because i do a lot of spring flood river runs, on some fairly dangerous waters. Switching sides has to happen in an instant, and i think a kayak paddle might give me the added speed for corners in a fast moving river...I'm not worried about getting wet since rapids take care of that, but i haven't found a paddle that is long enough yet. I'm 6'6" and take big strokes in a canoe.

Honestly though this is the only reason why i would want a kayak paddle in a canoe - fast dangerous waters...But, the smart thing for me would be to just purchase a kayak that is meant to handle those fast waters!