• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Robins!!!

Dave S

I don't have any pics but got to see my first robins of the year. We don't have any that winter around here so today's sighting was a bit of a shock to see them back this soon. Has anyone else been seeing any or other early sighting's of other species?

Spring is almost here grin

As I look out the window, I have several sitting in the trees in the back yard. There was 4 in the group earlier today.

There had to be atleast a dozen. They scattered in all directions as soon as I stepped through the door.

Ive been seeing a couple outside the factory doors at work when I leave for the last couple of weeks...what in the world is going on crazy was afraid to tell anyone, figured they'd want to give me a Psyche or drug test wink

i'll take your word for it but i have never seen a robin in the winter. of course i haven't excactly checked everywhere, but i do have feeders out there in my backyard and so far 0. good luck.

You won't find them at backyard feeders unless you have some sort of fruit/berries out for them, or waxworms or mealworms, etc. They are generally hanging around in crabapple or mountain ash trees and eating fruit. Usually they are in groups. I often see 4-10 robins together eating in the trees. They move on to other trees once they finish one off, so while people think it's robins coming back for the spring once they see some, it's really just the birds moving into a new area where there's food.

There's several that winter near us in the metro. Like Steve said, they're in the crab apple trees often with waxwings.

Funny story, late one winter there were HUNDREDS of them in a neighbors apple tree. An older lady parked underneith it. Naturally she had just washed her car. You should have seen the cuss wirds flying out of her mouth when she saw what all those birds did to her nice clean car. laugh

robins love peanuts. I make a mix of 50% of white millet and 50% peanut hearts & chips. All of my ground feeders love this mix. The big surprise was all the robins under the feeder eating peanuts.

Saw my first robin on Tuesday morning. We've got scores of Canvasbacks, Bluebills, Hooded Mergansers, Buffleheads, Goldeneyes, Canada Geese, and Great Blue Herons around Waterville. Looking like spring is coming if we can shake off this 12 degree weather stuff.

I've lived in MN my whole life and the first wintering robin I saw was after I moved into my present house. The back boundary of our lot is a spring fed creek that usually stays open all winter. Towards our house from that are a few crab apple trees. On calm sunny 15-20 degree days in the dead of winter there can be 50-70 robins around the creek bathing. Quite a sight!