• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Onboard Battery Charging System

Covey

I would stay away from the ones that get charged by the outboard. The juice that the motor provides is needed to keep your cranking battery charged. I would get a single bank on board charger that is at least 5 amps. Whats nice about these types of chargers is that it keeps the battery maintained at all times if you leave it plugged in without them getting overcharged or overheating. You could always get a 2 bank charger that could be used for trolling motor battery and your starting battery.

You could always get a 2 bank charger that could be used for trolling motor battery and your starting battery.

This is what I do and recommend. One bank charges the battery for my 55lb Terrova, and the other keeps my starting/livewell/electronics battery topped off. It's nice to have the peace of mind that your starting battery has always got a full charge when you head out.

How do you rig the plug in for an onboard charger?

A dozen years ago I had a 12 year old Lund Mr Pike with an onboard charger installed. It was wired with a great socket in the side of the console where you could plug in the 110 line for charging.

I plan to install a charger on my current boat and am thinking of wiring this one the same way, with a heavy duty socket in the console.

How do you wire your chargers?

You can buy that socket at a number of places and mount it wherever you like. On most boats they are near the back-end of boat near the back deck by the motor. When you buy the charger you will have to cut off the plug and splice the wires in the socket. Its a pretty easy job. Just make sure that the socket is no more than 2-3 ft from charger. The length of the charger wire varies.

Just make sure that the socket is no more than 2-3 ft from charger. The length of the charger wire varies.

Good point. Thanks.

I hadn't considered the length versus gauge issue. My batteries are in the bow and I want to try to mount the charger under the passenger console if possible. I might have to change plans if it needs to be mounted in a bow compartment.