• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Blowing headlights

Hookmaster

The sled is a 1999 Polaris Indy Sprot Touring, manual start, manual lever reverse. I had driven it around my yard a lot and used the reverse often and all the headlights worked (one low beam bulb and 2 high beam bulbs). Took it up north and used it 2 days no problems. About 3 weeks ago I went riding with a friend and when shifting into reverse to back off the trailer with the low beam on, it blew the bulb. Road over 40 miles with the high beams on with no issues. Got home and put it into the back yard since I can't lift the hood fully in the covered trailer. Put in a new bulb and good to go. Drove it around the yard, shifted into reverse and blew the low beam again. Put it on the trailer to go fishing last Saturday. Backed it off the trailer (I can't remember if I had the high beams on then) but drove it around with the high beams on, then shifted into reverse to hook up the fish house and blew both high beams. What can be causing this? I looked around the shift linkage and no wires are in the way. I looked at the wires going to the headlights and none were frayed or worn through. The speedometer light still works. Is the stator bad? Does this sled have a voltage regulator. Is shifting into reverse a coincidence? Any help is appreciated.

Don't know about why it would keep happening when you put it in reverse but yes you do have a voltage regulator under the hood below the ignition and Polaris are notorious for going through them. That would be my bet, easy fix, about 20.00.

What side of the sled would the voltage regulator be on? The tail lights and brake lights still work too.

The voltage regulator is on the inside of your hood right below where the pull rope goes through. Small little black box one wire. But, it sounds like you may have a short in a wire some where. Check to make sure you don't have any wires in your reverse handle linkage touching since it is only happening when you put it in reverse.