• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat Toolkit

Chode2235

Looking to put together a little toolkit to keep in the boat in case anything happens on the water.

What are your recommendations? I want to keep it light, but have enough for an emergency repair.

I am thinking screwdrivers, channel locks, crescent wrench, spare spark plugs, a knife, ??

What do you all carry out there? what do you carry with your trailer (breaker bar, jack, etc.)?

Fuses, small assortment of wire connectors / splices, couple lengths of electrical wire, electrician's tape, zip ties, small piece of wire (motor pee hole / tell tale hole cleaner), needle nose, vise grip (vs. crescent), small can of wd-40, trolling motor prop.

You've got a good start. I'm always adding this and that...not good a keeping it light.

I carry the above mentioned items...and for tools, I didn't want to take my high-end mechanic tools, so I picked up a nice set of wrenches, pliers, sockets, etc. in a case at Northern.

Was only about 25 bucks...good enough for an emergency.

Good addtions, esp the stainless items. If it's not stainless, it'll rust. Couple more....wire stripper / cutter....if you get wire, make sure it's same gauge(s) as wiring in your boat & a spare plug (if applicable)

I carry many of those things as well. When on the road, one thing i carry is a small floor jack! Years back i was reading where many of the auto jacks will not work under/on a boat trailer.( some of the scissor jacks will, but!) Make sure it will slide under the axle of your trailer, so if you do need it! grin

I think the replies have pretty much covered it. One product I really like is JB WaterWeld. It's good for emergency hole patching, and cures under water. It's actually pretty good stuff.

Also, keep in mind that you don't need every size of wrench to work on your boat/ car motors. Think about the limit of what you're going to be likely or able to do in the field, and bring only those sizes along. And bring the stainless replacement hardware to size, rather than just a handful of random stuff. It takes a bit more planning, I guess, but it'll help keep the total size of the kit down.

another good one not mentioned here is a spare bearing for your trailer.

i also like to keep some random assortments of screws, nuts, bolts and washers so i can jimmy rig something if need be on the water for a short term fix... along with that, any type of electrical wire pieces you have on your electronics/wiring are also good things to carry spares of.

as for tools, i take a couple ratchets with a couple sockets. i only bring a few sockets to keep the weight down, and only bring the sizes i need for the stuff in my boat. i also keep one of those gator grip universal sockets for anything else... a couple screwdrivers, a few wrenches (only the sizes i would need) and pliers.

super glue

electrical tape

spare prop + prop wrench