• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Such a quiet forum!!

I know it's the winter so there is no use for a kayak or canoe around here. But with that being said, the open water forum still attracts new posts. I look at this one every day and there will be anywhere from 2-10 people viewing it but hardly ever a post. I'm looking into getting my first kayak for angling purposes by this spring (I started my search last summer but missed out on a few opportunities and now I'm kind of picky and think I know what I want and I'm going to do my best to get it, even if that's paying outside my intended price range). Let's get some chatter going! I'm looking to learn some more about this topic!

It's nice to see you guys start to liven things up around here.

If you're a paddler, you've gotta give the BW a try at least once.

I don't have any plans set just yet, I'd like to try another BW trip in April like last year, but that's all dependent on the ice being there or not.

Any of you guys that are looking for a particular brand and model of kayak, post it here. That way, if I come across something online or elswhere, I can give you guys the heads up.

Couldn't agree more with Duff. If your a paddler you've got to get up to the BW.

Let me just toss something out here ...

Before you buy a kayak, consider an aluminum canoe with a rowing system.

I've been using one for over 20 years and I wouldn't swap.

Kayaks are heavier, per foot of length.

The 11 footer you mentioned is 3 pounds lighter than a 16 ft canoe.

Kayaks are slower on the water.

A canoe is more comfortable.

Most important, a canoe is far more versatile.

Plus ... combine a used canoe with a rowing system, maybe 3 bills.

Those kayaks can get pricy.

Just some food for thought.

I am looking into a fishing kayak as well, and I appreciate all the comments. There are a massive amount of little lakes in the state and national forests surrounding where I currently live, and I think a kayak will be a perfect way to get back there. Gonna bring the canoe down from the cabin and sell it then start looking for a kayak. Can't wait.

There are many ways for person to experience the BWCA or even get "pretty close" and try one of the border waters or the Voyageurs Natl Forest. Of course once you do that you'll be clamoring to do the real thing.

I really want to buy a solo canoe, but I doubt I can swing it this year. Right now I have a Coleman Ram-x 15ft and a Souris River Quetico 17ft kevlar. Both are red. I won the Coleman in a Klements Meats sponsored raffle one year and have had it for 15yrs now. The SR I've had for 6yrs and still love it.

I've really focused on lightening my setup. I single portage almost exclusively now and I don't think I spare any convenience or comfort to get there. I can't wait to start planning my trips for this summer.

Of course it's quiet MN BassFisher, it's the Canoes, kayaks, and other portables forum! grin

+1 for the "think about a canoe" advice. Aluminum canoes can be loud, (bouncing jigs or a metal stringer off the hull, etc.) but with some practice they're really not too bad. Plus, canoes are easier for one person to portage while carrying a pack than kayaks are. (But I'm pretty ignorant about kayaks, I've always just assumed you can carry by the bow/ stern, or drag. I don't think you can put them over your head like a canoe. Someone please set me straight if I'm wrong...)

And one canoe can hold two people a lot easier than one kayak. Got a girlfriend you like to fish with? wink

When I was a young buck I'd take 12-13 day trips deep into Quitico (the Canadian BWCA, across the border). 2 man trips. We'd leave about mid-May and come out on Memorial Day. Those were the most challanging and rewarding trips I ever took. We'd break camp and move every day, covered tons of water, intentionally took the most ridiculous portages, paddled right off our maps. After about 3 days, it was noteworthy to see boot prints on a portage trail. And we'd still have 9-10 days left.

Those we're the best trips I ever took.

Cool temps, no bugs, great fishing, genuine solitude.

And so long your not even thinking about the end, but when it comes, your ready.

I haven't taken any destination trips but I have a cabin on a small chain of 6-7 lakes in Western Wisconsin. Were the first lake and I've canoed up 4-5 lakes and you seem some pretty cool scenery. Every channel between the lakes is a lot different than the next, short, long, wide, narrow, full of cattails, full of tree's, and there are some cool small bridges.

I got my Kayak last summer and love it! I bought a Perception 12.6 Caster and love it! I am looking at a BWCA trip in the future but for this year I am planning a trip down the Rum River, awesome smallmouth fishing I hear! As for kayak fishing its a bit hard to get use to but I think I am adjusting well, I stepped down from a 16' Alumacraft and haven't looked back! We need to get group toegther for a outing this Spring, what do you guys think?

3 years ago I was fortunate enough to have a friend introduce me to the BWCA. 6 guys, 3 canoes, 7 days, 45 miles. I will remember that trip for the rest of my life! We got soaked a few times from the rain. We saw a big deer swimming across a bay. We saw waterfalls and indian pictographs! If you had a line in the water you were catching fish! I caught a 21" small mouth, and a big fat northern(didn't measure) along with countless others. The sights, the sounds, the food, the great group of guys, pulling the canoes over beaver dams, running a couple small rapids: it was everything you could hope for in a wilderness trip! I've gone on 4 trips since; 1 "guys" trip, and 3 with the wife(Yes, I was lucky enough to marry someone willing to go; she loves it now too!)

We're planning our spring trip right now, with another trip on the back burner. Half the fun in these trips is the planning! We put all our maps on the walls and spend hours looking them over discussing possible routes! I'm getting pumped up just thinking about it!

If anyone can swing the time off, check out Wabakimi Prov. Park up in Ontario. It's a loooong drive, but I went up there for two weeks last year and I can't wait to get back...We took the train west from Armstrong and then paddled north, back east, and then south down to the outfitter. If you like solitude, awesome rivers, and more fish than you can shake an ugly stick at, it's the place to go.

My dream for this year is to get farther north in Quetico than I've been before....We'll see how it goes.

Carmike

Thats the way to do it !!!

i used to take 2 week trips thru Quittico.

Always entered at Prairie portage but we'd loop elsewhere to come out.

And we covered a ton of water, and ground.

Very rarely stayed anywhere more than 1 night.

How far north are you aiming ?

Burt ? Conmee ?

I think there's a point where going north only increases the trafic.