• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Big Game Apex Tripod Stand for bowhunting?

daydreamer

Have a piece of property to bowhunt where no suitable trees are available for tree stands. Tried a groundblind last year and wasn't in love with it. Walking out of the big C store on Saturday I walked past a tripod stand and it got me to thinking that this might work in my area. Anyone use one of these bowhunting and if so, how did it work, limb clearance issues, bow hanger issues, etc? The reviews online sound like it's a good gun stand for sure, no feedback on archery however.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as I don't feel like dropping $300 to find out it doesn't accomodate an archery hunter...

Thanks

I've never used one, so take this with a grain of salt. I don't think it would work very well- you'd have to have most of your body outside of the covered part and there wouldn't be much in way of cover for you to hide your outline with (sounds like not tall trees in front of or behind you). I imagine you out in the wide open and trying to draw your bow, while most of you is exposed and essentially in plain view of the deer. I have to believe a ground blind is a better option.

I was hoping you'd respond Scoot.

Just to clarify for further replies. I have some cover in about 20-25 foot bushy (from top to bottom) white pines that I would nestle the tripod stand into. Just not big enough to put a stand into...yet

My wife and I used a tripod for her a couple years ago and it actually worked out great. We did exactly as you planned, we backed it into some pine trees and cut the branches that were in her way and away we went.

From a distance you couldn't make her out at all. We put her in Mossy Oak which I generally find rather dark but up close she blended right in. We have since switched land that we have access to and now have zero flat ground to use a tripod so I sold it but it worked great for her.

I have some cover in about 20-25 foot bushy (from top to bottom) white pines that I would nestle the tripod stand into.

OK, I misunderstood the cover you are talking about. Given what you said above, I'd think you could make something work. If it were me, I'd probably think about adding a little bit more cover right to the stand- something that would cover movement and hide you while in the stand. Maybe just some pine boughs sticking up and ahead of the sides of it. That'd leave you a nice shooting lane, but would block the view of anything not right in the lane. Or, skip that and give it a try. If you get busted a time or two, maybe rethink what you can do to block the silhoutte of a person in the stand. I'd probably do this right away, but I like to tinker with stuff.

Good luck! Sounds like it's got as good of a chance as anything! I much, much prefer to be up high than on the ground. However, some places just don't allow for a tree stand. It sounds like you can make a tripod set up work pretty well in this spot and put a tree stand in a spot most people wouldn't think of. Shoot a big one!

I have been thinking about a tripod stand for a similar situation. No good trees but lots of scraggly ones I could brush it into. I've been thinking about the big game pursuit. Half the price and weight (60 pounds) and it folds up easy so you can move it easier. The trade off is its probably not as sturdy and the "platform" is more like a metal circular rung to rest your feet on. So I'm thinking you'd have to shoot sitting, which is ok. Good luck.

I agree with what most have said. You really need to brush them in good... Im sure they make different sizes ( Im not too familar with them) but I hunted a a property and the landowner had one up, he is strictly a gun hunter, and it only stood about 10' off the ground. So if you combine that with being in the open I can see it being a problem with a bow... But in your situation I think it would be worth a shot by the sounds of it.