• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2005 Polaris Sportsman 800 4wheel drive issue

Lowblazah

Hey guys...

quick question...On my Sportsman, the 4WD drive will randomly stop working when in forward. If I shift to reverse all 4 wheels turn, shift back to forward and nothing. Put it in garage and come back later...it works again...ride it for a bit and same thing happens.

Someone suggested relays, but I thought when a relay went out, it doesnt randomly decide to work again. The front drive shaft spins, i just dont get any wheels spinning when in forward.

Always works in reverse...so this one has be scratching my head on what to check.

Anyone seen this?

I'm guessing its the roller cage in the front differential. Lots of info on atv sites about changing them out. Pretty common I think you can even buy the cage at John Deere (cheaper), as its used in some gators.

I dont think its anything with the front drive. before you start tearing into that try trouble shooting the connection to the tranny.

The AWD wont work if that switch on the tranny isn't functioning properly. I have seen them wear out and do similar thing yours is doing. It would work in reverse but not in forward. pretty much as long as it thinks its in nuetral the Awd wont engage. I would check that connector to see if its wet/dirty or try to clean it up and maybe spray some dielectric grease in the there. I dont think the switches are too spendy if you need to replace it either.

Where is that switch exactly? I'd like to give it a shot.

I unplugged the 2 wire connection (under the headlight) from the front dif to the switch last night and the 4WD indicator stayed off on the dash after moving the switch to AWD...but I still had 4wd in reverse.

According to the dealer I talked to this morning he's 90% sure I have what ACZR said.

Well we ripped the differential apart and the roll cage is in pieces.

ACZR...You my friend are the freeking MAN! You are correct...its a direct cross. You just saved me over $250 doing it this way! awesome...I owe you a beer or 5!

John deer part #s mia10666 roll kit, mia10667 roll cage assembly for anyone else with this issue! John Deere must make this part or something for there to be such a massive price difference.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Well we ripped the differential apart and the roll cage is in pieces.

ACZR...You my friend are the freeking MAN! You are correct...its a direct cross. You just saved me over $250 doing it this way! awesome...I owe you a beer or 5!

John deer part #s mia10666 roll kit, mia10667 roll cage assembly for anyone else with this issue! John Deere must make this part or something for there to be such a massive price difference.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Very cool. Thanks to aczr for posting the info. grin