• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Glow jigs for sunnies?

mixxedbagg

Sometimes, when I've been fishing crappies, I've hit on sunnies instead. For some reason (probably conditioning of ice fishing with my dad as a kid), I have this idea that glowing jigs are for crappies, not so much for sunnies. So, I think to myself that I should be switching to something that doesn't glow because it will spook the sunnies less. Is this a silly notion?

Ive done well with small a fiska glow jig and tear drop glows. During the day I dont think the glow is that prevalent unless in stained water. I think the size of the jig and what is on the hook gets them going. Though on the water I fish for them they get bored with what ever I got on and I have to switch presentations to get them to feed again.

I have caught many sunfish on glow jigs like Demons with a waxie. Few times well fishing for crappies after dark I have got a few with glow jigs and a minnow. My favorite jig for sunfish that I discovered is a plain gold horizontal jig in some sort of a cone shape size determined by how finicky they are, so I dont even bother with colored or glow jigs for sunfish, it is usually a accident if I catch them with a glow jig.

It brings me to a story that happen about a week ago when I decided to catch a few sunfish after fishing walleyes in the morning and had about a half dozen or more other guys out on a small bay with lots of weeds and a max depth of about 8'. Talked to a few guys and they were catching a lot of the pesky small ones right over the weeds with a couple of larger ones. So I set up on the edge of the weeds and site fished in my shack they were being finicky with the weather and tried my gold jig that had a little bit of color painted on it with a waixe. The fish just stared at it then I tried a plain gold jig and I had a little more interest but not what I was interested in so I tried a smaller one and that was the key. I had A bucket full of nice sized fish in an hour and all the other guys left except for 2 that that had a few good fish. Three things were key that day presentation, location, and site fishing. I dont know what the other guys were using but I can just imagine they were using some kind of large colorful or glowing jig that the fish were just not interested in and were fishing right on top of the weeds.

Personally I dont think you are spooking fish with glow jigs. More often you are not fishing for sunfish in the dark, so the actual glow of the lure probably isnt much. I use glow jigs on sunfish a lot, but dont often "Charge" the lure. I do use them in stained water and do charge them and they do seem to help in those situations.

Some lakes have tremendous night bluegill bites, I've been fortunate enough to fish a couple of them. I've found the glow jigs work very well in those situation, particularly right after a good charge. The fish come flying up and nail it. To date I haven't experienced 'gills spooking from glow jigs.

A friend of mine and I were out the other night and we had an awesome night bluegill bite. I had one a glow jig and did ok but the friend did amazing on them. I dont think a glowing jig will spook the fish at all. They most likely see it as something bite sized and delicious glowing or not.

I think the glow jigs will increase your odds of catching sunfish later in evening or after dark when low light conditions are present... ive caught some really nice gills on jigs when i've glowed them up while trying to catch crappies after dark... im not sure if the sunfish can't see as well at night or what...you never hear much from people fishing them at night or having good luck..