• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

arctic cat question

Dragonsm

My brother in law has a 2002 ZL 600 SS EFI and when we were out on Sunday, his belt squeeled a little here and there. Not thinking much of it at first, at one of the stops we popped open his hood and noticed there was a light gray grease coming out of the bearing on what I believe is called the jackshaft.(located behind motor and runs into the clutch) confusedFair amount sitting on the outside of it which he didn't believe was there before. (looks as though it is starting to get slung around the motor a bit too.

We looked at my sled, but mine looked completely opposite of his with zero grease showing.

Could it be that he had a seal go out or something on the bearing?

Thanks, Steve

Arctic Cats are made to break down.................... wink

Really? Is that all you can come up with? Maybe you would like to offer something a little more helpful.

Dragon, The bearing on the end of the jackshaft may be starting to fail. I would suggest pulling the secondary clutch, give the speedometer fitting, bearing mount, and the grease zerk a good cleaning, regrease and run it a bit to see if more grease gets slung around. If the grease reappears it is time to give the bearing a closer look.

if your in a pinch you can get one at your local farm supply sotore.. i bought one because i wasnt in the mood to give the dealer a 50 for a driveshaft bearing kit so went to runnings and got a 1" farm bearing and whola! it fit! $8 with stainless balls!

Well thanks to all for their responses. He took it into the local dealer near Hutchinson and it ended up just being an excess of grease that worked its way out. Bit of a relief. Dealer gave the sled a good once over checkup (which he found out his hifax were worn out) but from top to bottom the sled checked out well. He ended up replacing the hifax himself. I did have to give him some friendly ribbing about not adding any "color" to his sled on the hifax.