• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2011 RAZR 900XP

Dave S

It's on Polaris' site. Just basing my opinion on the video but this machine looks great.

88 hp, 14" of suspension travel, trailing arm rear susension like the Baja race trucks. The aftermarket industry is going to have a hay-day with this one. Tire/wheel upgrades might require wheel spacers. The tires look a little close to the trailing arms on the rear.

Overall, the RAZR guys gotta like what they see here.

As far as the utility based Rangers, I didn't look for any upgrades there. Would be nice to up the ante from their 800 (760cc) to a true displacement 1000cc machine. The MN laws are definitely based on changes to the AC or Polaris lineup so I wouldn't be surprised if something bigger is coming soon.

I saw the email and I am not sure if it is the fact that I am getting into the mid 40's or what but the first thing that struck me was the 15,999 price tag.

Now, first off I own a RZR. It is a 2008 model and it has been a reliable machine for me so far in the 1400 miles I have driven it, but I am really looking hard at what they are offering the customer for that kind of cash.

A few weeks ago I happened to go into a KIA dealership in Mankato and they had a spanking new Kia Forte starting a 12,995.

With that you get doors, power windows, power brakes, windshields,actual metal body panels,automatic trans,cruise,tilt,power steering,climate control and a 20 year, 200,000 mile drivetrain warranty.

When you look at things in that manner I just can't help but feel that the ATV industry is not giving us a good bang for our buck. I know a Forte can't go through the local back 40 but really, where is the extra 3,000 in value that justifies the cost of the rzr with it's fish net doors, no windshield, plastic dash and cheap plastic body panels?

Manufacturing and R&D costs are divided into the number of vehicles produced. I would have to believe the number of Kias produced is slightly higher than the number of RAZRs. Not really all that different than if you were to have a machine custom built. Since it would only be a one time knock off, the expense of building something like this would cost 6 figures.

Now if any ATV would come with a 20 year 200K warranty........grin

I've been through the Kia lot in Kato so I know what you mean.

I have been looking hard at the Can Am Commander 1000.

Sadly, it is a tiny-bit (16cc )over the limit the yahoos

at the DNR set forth in the all new "updated" regs.

Why they can't just say 1000cc's and leave it at that...

I will never understand?????????

Wisconsin has no such limitations, and they have

already begun pilot programs encouraging these new style

machines. Geeeez

Never will figure those jokers out. We have snowmobiles

that can do in excess of 130MPH , but we can't

have a two-up ATV machine that is 1000cc's and might do

80MPH. All with restraints and roll cages, so it aint

just all about safety. Heck, my 08 BruteForce will

jump it out over 70mph.

Will wait a little longer for the bugs to be worked out

on the Commander. Maybe then,the DNR will raise it to

a true 1000cc's?? I did hear there are chips out for the

800 commander, to fully let the horses out.

Either way, these machines will find a niche for those that

strive to afford them!!!!

The reason for the cutoff of 960cc is to accommodate the AC Prowler. I can honestly see the Class II laws being bumped to a 1200cc limit. It may be 10 years down the road, but I think it's coming. I doubt Can Am would've released the Commander targeting a sport riding background without having intentions of encouraging states to up the displacement limits.

So the question becomes... what would it take to turn a KIA into an off road machine?

Unfortunately I just dont see a whole lot of engineering in the RZR. Or at least enough to justify a 16K price tag. It a engine, a roll cage, and a couple sets of snowmobile front suspensions.

If the RAZR was produced in the same numbers as a Kia, you'd maybe see a lower price tag.

Numbers are only part of the story. They are not very efficient at producing them and that is a bigger part of the difference than the sales numbers. If they would increase their efficiency organization as well as reducing the labor necessary to produce each unit they could drop the price dramatically.

If they would increase their efficiency organization as well as reducing the labor necessary to produce each unit they could drop the price dramatically.

Maybe if they move one of their plants to Mexico the price would.....oh wait.... wink

According to what I read yesterday, the cost of constructing the new facility in Mexico increased by several million dollars. They're increasing the security of the facility to protect their assests and employees better due to the increased drug activity. crazy

The article also said the employees in the new facility will be paid 1/3 of the American based "non-union" salaries. That actually seems quite comapred to other companies in teh area. Either way with all things considered, I don't see this venture being any cheaper than what they have in Osceola.

It's the same all over the USA. Our company moved

stuff down to Mexacali and Taiwan. We have now

lost all the flexibility that gave us a manafacturing

edge to rapidly build up unforecast projects. Not

to mention fixing all the units that will not pass tests!!

Off shore is not always the answer the brass think it is....

As far as the drug/cartel problem goes. I guess we didn't learn

much when the problem was the same during prohibition days.

Those issues were resolved when it (alcohol) was legalized,

thus taking the criminal element out of the picture, as well

as making a ton of money in taxes on it.

I think Polaris should lower the prices on the RZR to move more units. In my opinion the way to sell more volume is to cheapen the price. I however would not want to see one more job leave this country or drop somebody wages to cheapen the RZR. I would think if they priced it better to where it was more accesible to the common working man earning $30-$40 a year they would sell a lot of them. I agree though for that price tag I could buy a nice little Toyota pickup throw lockers up front and the rear, lift kit, snorkel kit, tube bumpers and a winch. For less money, be street legal, and more comfortable on cold days. I love the RZR but these things real do need a reality check on their price tags.

I think Polaris should lower the prices on the RZR to move more units. In my opinion the way to sell more volume is to cheapen the price. I however would not want to see one more job leave this country or drop somebody wages to cheapen the RZR. I would think if they priced it better to where it was more accesible to the common working man earning $30-$40 a year they would sell a lot of them. I agree though for that price tag I could buy a nice little Toyota pickup throw lockers up front and the rear, lift kit, snorkel kit, tube bumpers and a winch. For less money, be street legal, and more comfortable on cold days. I love the RZR but these things real do need a reality check on their price tags.

+1

That thing looks like a ton of fun, but $16,000 is ridiculous. I would much rather get a nice atv and snowmobile for that kind of money. I know the market for this machine will be pretty specific, but for the average Joe, a basic 800cc Ranger will fill almost every need and for a 3/4 the price.

I know the market for this machine will be pretty specific, but for the average Joe, a basic 800cc Ranger will fill almost every need and for a 3/4 the price.

They've got you; hook, line, and sinker. $12k is now cheap in your eyes.

Most of the time I see an outrageously price unit at the top of a model's lineup, I think it is there solely to make the rest of the lineup look affordable. At 16k, it makes a 12k Ranger or Rzr look like it's not priced so bad. When the top dog was 12K, it looked like it was priced ridiculously, but the 9k machines were deemed affordable. It's a great marketing ploy.