• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pronghorn Hunt in SD

bloc004

Looking into doing a DIY Pronghorn Hunt in SD, and just wondering if anyone has some info about when you need to apply, when the dates are. I looked on the SD HSOforum and it was a little confusing. It looked like applications needed to be in by last sept for this year (2011). Any info or suggestions would be appreciated.

Hey, DonBo, good to see ya posting. I drew tags for goats last year but after seeing how few there were I decided not to kill anything. Hardly saw any kid goats either. No Dakota canceled thier season and wish we would have done the same or issued only one tag license instead of the doubles. Number rebounds are going to take a couple of years with mild winters. There is plenty public land in the 4 upper nothwest counties, Harding, Butte Corson, & Ziebach. I can't remember when the apps were due in. Mid August, maybe.

i was out in harding area deer hunting did see some goats which is a good sign, if you are going for gun good luck, talked with a few people who though SD didnt even give any non res gun permits out last year, i believe archery tags are 100% draw. There is tons of land out there but there is a lot that is walk in only so be prepared to put the miles on your legs if you do that. I looked into montana the other year and there is tons of land and depending on the area very good chance of getting drawn i might try again this year.

I think ND either canceled or cut back the season considerably claiming the numbers were down. I was out there for nearly 3 weeks in the Mott area and never saw a single one. Further west may be a wise choice.

Three weeks in Mott now that had to be fun

Don, really wish you would have gotten a hold of me. I'm out of that great syrup you guys gave us but, we save the bottles. Anyway, I'll try to dig up last years application to see how many non res rifle tags they gave out in respective counties. They have been giving out non-res goat tags for the past....mmmmm...6-7 years? If you want I can get a walk-in/public/school land booklet for you.