• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rod building cost

Genofish

I know the satisfaction of building and using a rod is priceless but how does the cost compare to buying a rod of similar quality at the store? I am very interested in getting into rod building.

Thanks

It all depends on what you are looking for. I have a couple discontinued blanks I had purchased for 20$ that if they were still selling would come out to be about 100$ for the blank.

Basically the cost would be about 130-150$ on this rod and I took it all home for about 60$

I cant speak for rod blanks such as st croix ect ect. But from my understanding the ones you and me can buy at gander mountain are kind of the rejects that the manufacture sells directly. Can anyone else confirm this or did I dream this up?

but if anything the main thing is you are creating a rod, choosing the grips and accessories you like the feel of.

Sometimes it might cost less than buying a already built rod and the next time it could cost you more.

I built a rod for my father who is a big fisherman and picky about his rods. I cannot wait to see how he likes his custom rod and how it will compare in his arsenal!

If you choose to build a rod that's comparable to a store rod then you're probably better off just buying the store rod. Store rods are built for the masses so there is no way they can customize a rod to be exactly what you need or want.

But...here's the beauty of building a custom rod. If you do your homework you can build a rod that is much better than any store rod. And I don't care what store rod we're talking about. There are ways to make a custom rod better starting from the blank you choose. You can choose the type of handle that best suits your style of fishing with a length that is most comfortable to you. For a spinning rods a way exists to place the guides that provides better performance than the cone of flight method used on store bought rods. You can also pick the smallest guides possible that will allow your line plus any connections to pass freely. A lot of times this means you can use size 3 running guides which reduces weight and allows the rod to perform better.

I encourage you to get into a class a Midwest Rod and Reel. Al and Bill will provide you with an excellent foundation. I would also recommend a book by Tom Kirkman called Rod Building Guide: Fly, Spinning, Casting, Trolling.

Good Luck.

Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods

I know the satisfaction of building and using a rod is priceless but how does the cost compare to buying a rod of similar quality at the store? I am very interested in getting into rod building.

Thanks

Depends on your definition of store bought rods. If the walmart kind of stuff works for you, ain't much sense building a custom. If you want to buy a top of the line St Croix or Loomis, you can build something comparable for less. But Unfrozen has already said it, if you want something that is custom to you or a specific way you fish, then custom is the way to go. Add to that you can fit the rod to you, not the general masses. When I build for someone there is always some questions that make them go hmmm. Like how exactly do you fish, line weight, weight of the lure/sinker, how long in your forearm and things of that nature.

Then you can add the stuff like a reel seat that fits your hand or style of fishing. Colors or decorative wraps or even feather inlays. You can make it as distinctive as you like. I have seen stuff done in neon colors, ain't my tastes but someone liked it. You really can make it your own.

All the rods I've built cost way more than anything I could buy in store. But I didn't get into rod building to save money. I got into it to build rods that suit my needs and style of fishing. I don't 'bling' out any of them, but I use high-end blanks and top of the line components that jacks the cost up very fast. It's a hobby, hobbies aren't meant to be easy on the bank account, and this one is just an extension of another expensive hobby, fishing.

I think if you wanted to build copies of $750 fly rods or $450 spinning rods you can probably do it for cheaper at home. Especially if you are building enough rods to lessen the per rod cost of a rod dryer, epoxies, and other community equipment and supplies. I know that the blanks for a $750 sage fly rod sell for $400 and I think you'd be hard pressed to spend $350 on components. Not that you couldn't though. Whether a $400 blank is that much better than one half the price is whole other story.

I agree though, don't get started in it thinking you will save money get started in it because it's rewarding to catch fish on your own original creation.

I'm just getting in to rod building so I probably don't know what I am talking about though.

For spinning and casting rods I find the parts costs to be similar to the cost of mainline brands (Loomis, St.Croix, etc) when built on the same blank. Of course by making a custom rod I have complete control of the parts I use (i.e. better guides), asthetics, and can fine tune the performance of the rod (i.e. fine tune guide spacing to maximize casting distance). I find that I can build a fly rod for less than a mainline rod when built on the same blank.

I have built rods with the same blank as store bought. I generally use better guides and make my own handles to my liking. Each time, I have found them to be cheaper than the pre-built. But, if you figure in your time, it is more expensive. The payback is using a fine rod you built to catch your fish. Very satisfying. To me, its a matter of my fishing enjoyment, being able to build your equipment (rods and lures) makes it a part of the total experience.

What I love about building rods is when someone else uses them. the comments you get, most the time good and sometimes fair, but seems for the most part they fall in love with what I build.

Than they look on the rod for a sticker, or a brand name and try to figure out what the rod is. Than when you tell them you built the rod it brings up more conversation.

It makes for a good time fishing, except for they do not want to give you your rod back! lol

You can save by doing some shopping. There are bargains out there, but you have to do some looking.

I've built a few rods (both ice and long) and have saved money on every long rod. On ice rods it's a break even. An example would be the St. Croix Avid. But as upnorth advised, I do shop, search and network extensively. Also I do not use much anymore in the way of well marketed, overpriced, name brand components. Talk to enough custom rod guys and suppliers and you find there is better stuff out there (than Fuji for example) for less. I've made a couple rods using a high quality no name blank, guides and reel seat and the recipients like them better than the G Loomis & St. Croix rods they own in terms of sensitivity and quality. That's not because my rods are anything special but I am very particular about cost and quality of components. The down side for me is many of the components are not made in America. But 99% of components are not made in America anymore anyhow. Not even the ones you think are all made here.

Now I've seen a few of upnorth's rods - they are something special!! The decorative wraps and finish are top of the line but he takes extra time to do things that aren't visible on the finished product.