• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

97 zrt 600 idle problems

Biggerfish

I have trouble keeping my ZRT idling? I have to keep choking it half way and then turn off the choke? and keep repeating?

It also seems to be a little boggy off idle?

Things I am thinking of trying.

1. Take it out and run the old gas old and add some fresh new gas.

2. Try to adjust idle screws on all 3 carbs? (I assume turn them out?)

Any other things I should try?

Yes to fresh fuel!

Next, do not start adjusting things. If you have not already done so, pull each carb, drop the bowl and clean things up. remove the main jet and clean it out. I would also pull the choke (enrichment) assembly apart and clean it up. If that sticks it can really mess things up. Inspect the engine and air box side boots for cracks and replace anything that looks deteriorated. Start it up again and see how it goes.

Having to use the choke to keep a motor running is usually a sign of dirty carbs, and on a sled that can be very expensive if not addressed before running it any distance.

Don't mess with this engine unless you really know how to adjust and rebuild the carbs. I had a '97 800 ZRT (and I don't miss it!) All three carbs need to by synchronized properly, so don't go turning screws hoping it will work.

If you have to keep choking the motor to idle, the idle jets are likely gummed up and need to be cleaned by tearing the carbs down. Common problem. I've fixed two sleds for friends this month with the same symptoms. Seafoam or a magic fix in a can won't work, only about an hour of fun labor getting those 3 carbs off, cleaned, synch'd and reinstalled will do it.

If you pull the carbs off it would be a good time to check the carb boots (as mentioned above). My friend has the same sled and when I looked at his carb boots last year they were bad....all cracked and ready to burn down his engine at any time! I finally convinced him to buy new ones....but they are not all that cheap.

Definitly need to pull the carbs and give em a good cleaning. sounds to me like the pilot jet is clogged if it wont idle without choke. completely dissasemble the carbs and clean with carb cleaner and compressed air. before you put them back on check and double check the intake boots like has been said before, they are not cheap to replace but it is cheaper than a new jug and piston. im sure someone can give you the proper way to sync the carbs, i was always told to use a drill bit to set the slides all the same but im sure there is a more precise way?

I was always told to use a drill bit to set the slides all the same but im sure there is a more precise way?

Actually a drill bit is a very precise (and accepted) way to make adjustments. You need to have the slide height set exactly the same to get equal flow through the carbs and a drill bit will give a good consistent measurement. You can also use a vacuum gauge to double check or fine tune, but the drill bit will be more than adequate.