• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

'99 merc 175hp efi

lilwalter

We have '97 150efi, which is pretty much the same motor. Bulletproof. Reliable. Cool sound, and powerful and fast! smile I don't htink ours drinks gas too bad, but compared to newer dfi or 4 stroke motors, they are much more thirsty.

We still troll with ours a ton, and have for 13 years. The only thing that really is important, is to make sure your starting battery is charged - meaning we used to use ours on a no-wake lake a lot, and we never got the alternator to charging the battery back up. Now we have three bank charger and no issues. It has to run to charge back up, especially when night fishing with lights and livewells wink

Anyway, that motor is awesome, and there is no known common problem with the efi's - at least that I have ever heard of, and I hang out on motor forums a decent amount, but am not a mechanic smile

Good luck!

Those EFIs are bullet proof motors without the hassle of the carbs.

My dad has a 225 on his bass boat and the thing flys. The carbed mercs were notoriously cold blooded, but ran awesome at WOT. The EFI solves the cold blooded part.

Yes, theyre pretty thirsty motors. I think my dads EFI used more gas than my carbed yamaha (150).

But theyre great motors. I great step between the old reliable simple Black Max, but not as complicated and expensive to fix as the new Optis.

I have a 99 150 EFI and the only problem I have is sometimes when just getting on the water, the motor wants to bog down and stop like its not getting gas. I always let it warm up good b/4 takeoff and this happens during the warm up period. Sqeezing the bulb on the gas line is no help either. Once I get it to go, it runs great. It has to be some kind of adjustment, computer problem or water in the system. Other than that, It eats E-Tecs for lunch. Great motor.