• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

mixed breed hunting dog?

waxworm09

Just curious if anyone has experience using a mixed breed? Im looking at getting a puppy from someone local. They are 1/2 german shorthair, 1/4 golden retriever, and 1/4 chow. The shorthair is a good hunter, what are the chances the pups will turn out to be hunters? If the pup can't hunt that would be ok, she will be a family pet anyways, but it would be a huge bonus if she could! Thanks

My gut says if you want a hunting dog first and a pet second why take the chance? These pups may or may not be birdy, might have prey drive might not. I'm guessing the FemaleDog is the GSP what was the sire? Or is the breeder just guessing?

I would guess these pups are free but if you really want a trainable hunting dog spend some money on a well bred puppy, if you just want to give one of these a good home, good for you and go for it just don't expect alot.

I would guess these pups are free but if you really want a trainable hunting dog spend some money on a well bred puppy, if you just want to give one of these a good home, good for you and go for it just don't expect alot.

X2

IMHO the reason to get a well bred dog with a breed standard, and along good blood lines is so you know what you are getting. You may hit a home run, or you may strike out. Only time will tell.

I have a Lab/Husky mix, she is the best hunting dog that i've hunted with. Some things she picked up fast others I had to work on very hard. I spent $190 for her and come out of the woods with Grouse everytime, could have been better but I didnt train myself as hard as I did with her. Just get the dog out there and work with it, you should be fine, the hunting breed of the dog will come out. You dont need to spend alot of money on any dog to make it a great hunter, kind of like golf, you cant buy a good swing.

Why? I mean, if you want a hunting dog .....get a hunting dog. If you are just looking for a FREE dog and hoping it will hunt you might get lucky or you might just end up with a bonehead chow -hound.....fun for the kids, a good pal but also annoying and potentially a nuisance.

You KNOW what the right answer is here.

Or you could get 2 and say they're the best thing since sliced bread. About a year from now the litter hits the ground and the phone is ringing off the hook.

Now we're on to something,just like the labradoodle.