• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

new guy question

fire29

We just started spearing this year and have had fish come to the edge of the ice and either look then leave or just leave. Are we doing something wrong? What could be spooking them? We usally have 2 suckers down at a time, and drop a decoy evry now and then.

try one sucker and one fake decoy also I would almost bet you have some type of glare going on that is spooking the pike it doest take much to spook them but then there are times when I've opened the door and look down and bam pike in the hole but usually not for long.

My gramps never used live bait while spearingand was very successful, I usually use both and I put the 'fake" decoy a couple inches below the sucker (the bigger the better) . Dropping that decoy down will spook em every time.the more you pull on the fake decoy the faster they come in so keep that to a minimum. Remember the less noise and movement from above the better.full-33562-4312-gregspictures309018.jpg

O.K. thanks for your thoughts. I am spearing out of a quickfish 3, there are a few spots where light sneaks in but it is not terrible. And the spots are very small. I will try to button it up a little more.

It makes less difference then you think.

Well thats good to know too, When my minnow is being lazy and just hanging out I usally jig him to get him swimming again. I guess I have alot to learn. But I am having fun anyways.

What color dekes do you guys REALLY like? I have a white with red head and am thinking of getting a perch color.

I spear whitefish lake on the chain, I used a 16 in. sucker and a big "deweys"red n white with the spinner on the tail. Speared 4 white fish between 2 and 4 lbs. plus my limit of snot rockets my biggest was 34 in. , smallest 24 in. three hours....ya want them to come in slow keep the movement to a minimum cool