• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

honda foreman es wont downshift

frogtosser

I have a 93 honda 450 foreman es and lately it has not been wanting to downshift. It shifts up just fine but when I try to shift down it sounds like it does not have enough power and sometimes gets stuck between gears. It only has 1000 miles on it, what is causing this is problem? I havent put a new battery in in about 5 years but I am sure its not that simple cause it starts fine and its electric start. Any thoughts?

Good Morning,

I would assume this is a manual foot peg shift?

If so, you might just need to adjust the clutch. I have a 2001, and in the owners manual it goes through the procedure...but in short, here is what it says:

On the side where your foot peg is, look to the front side of the engine about 5 or so inches higher than the level of your foot peg. There will be a nut on a slotted end screw (does not have an actual head...just the shaft with a slot at the end)

1. Loosen the nut a turn or so

2. With your screwdriver, tighten the shaft until you feel a little tension, then turn the shaft back 1/4 turn.

3. Holding the shaft at that position, tighten the nut back up.

There is a little playing room here...some like it tighter, some like it looser. Easy enough to fiddle with and find what you like.

I have found that an off-set wrench, and an offset flat-head screwdriver are your best tools so you don't need to remove a bunch of fender plastic to access it.

Steve

Honda foreman ES (ES= Electronic shift)

There had been some issues with the angle sensors with some of the ES models. Otherwise I would think the switch on the handlebars might be going bad.

The ES models did come with a foot shift lever. I would mount that up and see if there's still an issue to rule out the transmission. But I highly doubt the tranny is the issue.

I used to have a 2000 Foreman ES and I had similar issues with it. I had to use the foot lever from the tool kit to shift before I brought it in. I believe it was an electrical issue. It was a while ago so I don't remember exactly what it was. They replaced some kind of solenoid or something to that effect.

Did you mean 03 instead of 93? I didn't think ES was available back then.

I like all of the features they are coming out with these days like power steering, Electric shift...etc but they are all just another thing that can go wrong IMO.

Looks like 2 flashes means its the handlebar selector switch (or wiring). Could be a dirty or corroded switch from water intrusion, or as simple as a loose connector.

The following codes point to a system with in the ES. It doesnt necesarily mean the component is bad, but that theres a fault in that circuitry. Could be a disconnected wire, shorted wire, or high resistance in the wiring, or it could be the component itself.

1 flash, ECU (writing and recording circuit) , probable faulty part ECU

2 flashes ES shift switch system (up and down) probable faulty part, shift switch, related wiring harness, or ECU

3 flashes,angle sensor system, probable faulty part, angle sensor, or incorrectly installed,related wiring, or ECU

4 flashes,gear position switch system, probable faulty part,gear position switch or related wiring or ECU

5 flashes,ECU motor driver circuit, probable faulty part,ECU

6 flashes, ECU fail safe relay circuit, probable faulty part,ECU

7 flashes, ECU voltage convent system, probable faulty part, ECU

8 flashes, angle sensor system, probable faulty part,angle sensor, or control motor, or related wiring, or ECU

9 flashes, angle sensor system, probable faulty part,angle sensor(short or open), or related wiring , or ECU

10 flashes, ignition pulse generator system, probable faulty part, ignition pulse generator or related wiring

11 flashes,speed sensor system(vehicle speed), probable faulty part speed sensor or related wiring or ECU

12 flashes, gear position switch system, probable faulty partgear position switch or related wiring, or ECU