• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Plow Blade Width

basslkjohn

I want to order a plow for my can-am 400. A local dealer suggested a 60 inch blade for my rig. He indicated that a narrower blade would leave snow in the tire track that would get compacted. Any advice from you guys? A 48 or 50 inch would be less weight on the winch and easier to maneuver in the yard and on my trailer. Thanks for your consideration.

Are you planning on using it for sidewalks? I have a 52 inch blade. That seems to work fine for me. It works great for sidewalks as well as the driveways. If you have plenty of storage room and dont plan on plowing in tight quarters, go with the bigger blade.

I have a 60" on my polaris x2 and it works great. If I want to do the sidewalk, I put it at the sharpest angle and drive right down the middle, sure beats shoveling when we get 8-10". If your machine can take it, be sure to get the quick connect mount system. It disconnects in 1 second and makes life alot easier.

Good Luck

Do they make a blade narrower than 48"? I believe most wheelers are about 4' wide. If they were wider they wouldn't fit between the wheel wells in your truck box. If your blade is as wide as your wheeler, anything more is added weight. Of course you have to make an extra trip or two but I would think the lighter weight would be better for the wheeler, which isn't really designed to carry the weight up there anyway. A 52" blade should be plenty.

Also, the idea that you would compact the snow and not be able to remove it is bogus. This could be true if you only made one pass and then left it to freeze but shift over a couple feet and go again and you'll clean it up. As long as your blade is as wide as your wheeler, no problem.

I am in th same place as you. I have a honda 400 they said it would take a 60 no problem. I was gonna get a 55" but they are special order. I may just buy the 60 and then I will be good for a long time even if I buy a different wheeler in the future. The question is Moose or Eagle? Eagle seems to be the best but the moose for the setup is about $50 cheaper.