• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Internal camera cleaning?

A few weeks ago I did a bonehead mistake and let someone borrow my camera. When it was returned the inside looked like the lenses were change in the middle of a dust storm. So am looking for someone in the metro area to clean the inside and who knows what else. I live in Rochester and a place here in town sends the camera away for 5 weeks.....I don't think so!

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Shane

NatCam does cleaning though I believe they send them out. Marquette Camera Repair in Golden Valley is who I would recommend. I've had work done by them going back 25 years with excellent results. If you are a Canon shooter they are a factory authorized service center as well. Hope that helps.

Shane, for what it's worth. I had to send my 100-400 lense(Canon) in for work. I used the Canon web-site and sent it in to the Canon outlet on the east coast. I sent it in last Thursday and got it back today. I had to pay for shipping in. Fast service.

Shane you really owe it to yourself to learn how or you will have to learn how to remove dust in something like Photoshop. It really is not that hard to do and after a couple of times you will realize that it is not all that hard or scary.

First thing is to get a Giotto blower cause this will remove the dust without you having to touch the sensor. You just lockup your shutter and remove the lens and blow at the sensor which work about 60% of the time and when it fails to remove the dust bunny then its time to try the wet method. If you go to Copperhill's HSOforum they have a great tutorial on how to do it and they sell a very good kit.

Thanks Jim. I ordered the cleaner kit from Copperhill last night. I'll give it a whirl! My sensor looks good, it's the mirror that has stuff on it. Took a pic of a blue tv screen and I see at least 3 spots.

Wish me luck,

Shane

Shane, gunk on your mirror has no impact on the image. The mirror flips up and out of the way when you trip the shutter, exposing the sensor. There is no need to clean the mirror, and I wouldn't even try, since you might damage that mechanism. If you saw three spots, they are on the sensor, not on the mirror. I use the Copperhill system myself to clean the sensor. Like it a lot! smile