• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Electric Fillet knives

I don't think I would ever buy another rechargeable knife again. I had a Rapala, and like all rechareable tools, the battery eventually dies. When that happened I was told by Rapala that I was out of luck, they didn't carry a replacement battery. So I threw away a pefectly good knife (that was not cheap by the way).

So after that I went the exaxt opposite and bought a cheap $15 Hamilton Beach corded knife at Target. It zips through the fish just as good as any other "fishing" electic knife.

At least this way IF I have to throw it away, I'm only out $15, but I just don't see that happening anytime soon though.

If you truly do need it to be run on battery (no AC access), then I would steer towards the L-Ion type.

Thanks. I am not totally against a corded model, since 99% of my cleaning will be in my garage. I've never used an electric model so I don't know if the style of the blades makes to much of a difference or not. I clean a lot of panfish, so thinking a 'standard' style fillet knife blade like the ones on the berkley or rapala may be easier to handle than the more rigid rectangular ones on the Mister Twister.

Keep the reviews coming.

My last three knives were the rapala 12v corded model w/ac adapter. Love them, can plug into the wall at home or resort cleaning houses. When 120v is not available i can plug into cigarette lighter in truck or the power point on my Ranger 620T. I get about 2-3 years out of them and that's using them year round. Between my own fishing and guiding, they see a lot of fish.

I got one of those Rapala rechargeable's for a gift and did not use it very much so this spring it seemed like it would be great for cutting up the Coho I was catching and the thing would not work. Battery was shot !

Tried to get one of the saltwater American Anglers but I think that they quit making them because they have been out of stock all summer.

I use the Mister Twister and haven't had any problems with mine. I clean a lot of panfish with it too. I clean the panfish a little differently than some, but always have a good chunk of meat when I'm done that is bone free. I cut around the entire fillet and then take the fillet off starting from the tail. I put the knife down to the spine of the fish and cut toward the head and take out the rib cages after I'm done. It is tough with this knife (cleaning panfish) to start from above the rib cage or head side.

I also use the Mister Twister corded knife. I bought the "saltwater" one (white and blue in color). I have zero complaints with the knife. All I fillet is walleye. The replacement blades are also fairly cheap. I have had the knife for approximately four years and have used it on several group trips to Canada where I had to fillet all of the fish for our group of 8 guys. The knife still works today like the day I bought it.

I have the Rapala 12v corded model with the AC adapter, I recieved it as a Father's day gift from my kids 2 1/2 years ago and I love it. It came with 2 sets of blades, one smaller and one larger. The small size works real nice cleaning panfish with the kids. With the 12v cord I can run off any car or boat battery or if you have access to 110ac you can use the included adapter for that and it all packs into a handy carring case that came with it that even has a small filet board that snaps on to the back of it that has come in handy when wanting to filet up some shore lunch.

Awesome video of skinning those cats up dtro, I never thought of just starting behind the ribs on those, have wrestled and dulled up a knife or two in the day trying to filet thru those ribs. BTW you are a lucky man ... my wife would have my hide if I filet fish or clean game anywhere near her precious washer and dryer :-)

The only thing bad about the Mister Twister is that the cord is about 18" long. Other than that, I've had 2 of them for years.

I've got a 5-foot extension cord that I use to remedy that problem. The short cord is the only downfall of the Mister Twister knife that I can think of.