• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The gear.

It's kind of Ironic. I've been wanting to spear fish for the last two years now. Bought all the gear below and haven't been out or used it yet. I did manage to go spear fishing for the first time up at Devil's Lake this last winter. It was great had a fish come through every 15 min. and everyone limited out in just a few hours that was in our group. After that experiance I'm definately going this winter with my gear.

icesaw-display-size1.jpg

IMG00122.jpg

On the spears below they felt a little light so I had a guy at work weld some rebar for weight on both sides of the shaft right behind the spear head. Now they feel like they'd drive the forks threw the fish.

spears.jpg

Merk, dudes from Iowa " I Owe the World an Apology" last I checked he won't legally be chuckin spears at winne..happy stabbin this season Merk

All he needs is a non resident fishing and non resident darkhouse spearing licence and he is good to go.

We would be happy to have you up there Argo.

It is Dec 17 and 18 2010

http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubb...Gat#Post2355462

Quote:

All he needs is a non resident fishing and non resident darkhouse spearing licence and he is good to go.

We would be happy to have you up there Argo.

It is Dec 17 and 18 2010

http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubb...Gat#Post2355462

This is crazy cool. I'm actually planning this years ice fishing trip with my brother and cousin to Upper Red in this time period and I was telling them we should maybe try to hit Winni during the day. It would be great if I could bring the two of them & my stuff to spear fish. I know they'd have an absolute blast it also looks like it should work out with the time period.

One question I have is I'm looking at maybe getting a 6 man pop up hub shelter for a spear house. I've got a Fish trap Voyager that is a three man and seems large enough so not sure if I should make the investment in the 6 man hub pop up for the very few times I'd get out to spear.

I thought you had to be a resident to spear in Mn. when did that change?

Looks like they changed the regs this year so a non resident can spear with a darkhouse license and a fishing license.

Does anyone know where a guy can get a white decoy with a red head? I've heard that the red heads are suppose to be one of the best decoys that a guy can use.

Agronomist_at_IA,

I make them too, how big of a decoy ya lookin for? I had my most luck on firetiger last year, year before was natural pike, year before that was red n white...

Not really sure, I found a lacko decoy on a HSOforum and was thinking about getting a red and white one similar to the green and yellow one In my earlier picture. So guessing they are about 5 in long. I don't really need one and haven't ordered one yet, but a guy spearing was telling me that a white decoy with a red head is the only way to go when spear fishing. Not sure if it is true or not but for the cost of a few bucks figured I'd rather be safe then sorry and add one to my gear.

pretty much anything that moves works, I'm 51, went spearing for the first time when I was 10 with my gramps..he always said stay away from the live deeks. another old timer swears by the "mini teaser". www.todaystackle.com. I like the miniteaser with a swedish pimple for luring in whitefish.

I have had all the gear and have not found the time to get out for at least 10 years. Check out these antique spears ('72,'79, and '80). My dad bought them for himself and my brother and I when we were kids. He passed away and my brother gave me his. I will pass them down to my children. I have 2 4X8 bolt together spear houses and some old decoys. Hopefully this year I will get the time. I have enjoyed observing everyone elses outings on this site. full-8877-3352-076.jpg