• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Making a ice fishing rod?

I would like to make a ice fishing rod but i have no idea where to start.Can anyone point me in the right direction on where to start, keep in mind i have never built any kind of rod before but it is something i have been interested in for a while. Are there any books or videos i could purchase? Are there any stores around the north metro where you can buy the parts for making rods? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mudhole has some videos on basic rod-building techniques. You will have to search their site a bit for it tho. I am not sure if there any on youtube but that would also be a good spot.

You can also ask some specific questions here. There have been a few how to posts here showing some basic stuff too.

Not sure about location but Thorne Bros has a full spread of components and great people to help. You can hand pick your blank and thier brains...

Midwest Rod has everything also...

Mudhole and Netcraft both offer components.

Quite a bit of info and friendly knowledge sitting around here too. grin

And yep, an ice rod can be a real pain for a first build. Finer blanks, smaller guides, and "new" fingers can get frusterating, especially on a noodle type flexy blank. If you do go the ice rod route go for something beefier...

Thanks for the replies, i ordered a catalog from mudhole yesterday and i will check out those other places that dark cloud mentioned. i don't live to far from thorne bros. so i will head over there and pick their brains when i get a chance. Thanks for the help guys!

Leroy,

Thorne Bros is a great store in the north metro for ice rod building supplies. They design their own ice rod blanks and are arguably the finest ice blanks out there. I've made numerous rods using their solid carbon blanks and can tell you first-hand that they are extremely sensitive and very durable. Thorne Bros also sells all the components that you'll need and their staff is top notch. They've helped me build everything from ice rods to fly rods.

I would also call Bill or Al at Midwest Rod and Reel. They know the game and have all the top supplies and they themselves build some high quality stuff.

Bill & Al have been in the rod business and can help you with questions or even offer you a rod building class to learn the finer points and they do take thier time with thier clients.

Some shops do offer quality components for less than others so it pays to check around. A rod blank is not a rod blank. There are differences.

They are located in Prior Lake, MN.

I took a class on rod building first and then started doing some of my own. I got to know a couple of the guys who put the class on and they have been a great help to find out where to go and get things. They have places to get things that I never heard of when I did alot of reserch on line. I'm sure all the other guys are great also but when you don't live near any of them it is nice to have someone to show you what you did wrong or for some ideas on doing differant things.