• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shock collar

East Rush Rules

Hey guys,

Just curious on your opinions. I have a 1 1/2 year old lab I have trained up until now without a collar. I wanted her to hunt for me the first year without one to see how it would go. First year was amazing, she stayed close and worked very well for me. Well after a few pheasant hunts this year, i'm thinking its time to invest in one. She just seems to want to get out a little far from me and I hate having to whistle for her to come back towards me. Just curious what you guys have for experience in the entry level collars as i am a poor college student. Any help would be appriciated!!

Plan on spending $200 or more for a decent unit. With these collars, you definitely get what you pay for!

Look for one that's going to work for your specific purpose and find a radio that you think you can easily handle when in the field (keeping in mind you've probably got a shotgun in one hand, so the radio should be as one handed operation as possible).

My personal preference is the tri-tronics g3, forms to my hand well and I can operate it completely by thumb. A buzzer or beeper is a great feature if you have a well controlled dog that just gets out of range. I have my 1yr old to the point where I just hit the beeper and get immediate response. You can run up to three separate collars with this unit and sensitivity is very tuneable. I think this model ran $230 new from GM, you can probably find a better deal on them now or even look for a used collar.

I like dogtra too, had a TT, they are nice too, can't go wrong with either. But I would go with one of those. And a 2500 ncp would be too much for your first one. Just get a 200 ncp or a 1500 ncp if you can find one. Otherwise a 1900 NCPat least in a Dogtra.You dont need beepers and all that stuff.

There is nothing wrong with any Dogtra, they will all last you a very long time. All I am saying is if it is the 2'500 I have seen now they have beepers and all that stuff. Complicated and for a flushing dog it is not needed. If you go to Dogtra web site and click search by model you will find one that fits the style of hunting and dog you have.