• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Of grouse and swans and...mushrats?

Took a ride for a couple of hours today. Found a grouse that just wanted to play hide and seek. Got a couple of shots through the branches:

TR1-1.gif

TR2-1.gif

Still a swan hangin' around the Island River:

TR3-1.gif

TR4-1.gif

And a mushrat tried to run me off his property!

TR6-1.gif

TR5-1.gif

great job!! may I ask how you achieved these? were you in a ground blind? the reason I ask is I am going on an adventure this weekend, and my hubby says there is a pair of swans in one of the lakes up there, I would dearly love to get some shots of!!!

Sue,

Nothing as exotic as a ground blind. I saw this one (as I have many others) driving by a body of water and spotting it from a distance. I then was able to use cover along the shoreline to sneak up relatively close to the swan. Having a 500mm f/4 with a 2X converter didn't hurt either! It's been my experience that these birds don't move around much unless spooked by something, so you might spend a long time in a blind without the bird getting any closer.

Ken

The 100-400 is a great lens for the versatility and ease of carry that it has. As I'm driving down the road, that one is sitting in my lap with the 500 in the back seat. If I have time, I grab the 500, if not I use the 100-400. The muskrat was taken with the 100-400. Good luck this weekend!

The 100-400 is a great lens for the versatility and ease of carry that it has. As I'm driving down the road, that one is sitting in my lap with the 500 in the back seat. If I have time, I grab the 500, if not I use the 100-400. The muskrat was taken with the 100-400. Good luck this weekend!

yea I love my lens, I have two favourites, I recently bought the 24-70 f/2.8 L and love it, but when I'm in motion on the road or quad, I always have my 1-4 on and ready for action!!

thanks for the good luck charm for this weekend, I am so excited to go!! I haven't been out much this year.

I'm a big fan of the versatility of the 100-400 myself. It's the best all-around wildlife photography lens Canon makes, IMO. There have been a few times since I sold mine that I wanted that flexibility back. I expect I'll have another one here within a few months. smile

I'm a big fan of the versatility of the 100-400 myself. It's the best all-around wildlife photography lens Canon makes, IMO. There have been a few times since I sold mine that I wanted that flexibility back. I expect I'll have another one here within a few months. smile

Hello Steve!! long time no talk!!!

Hello Steve!! long time no talk!!!

Sue, not much time to "talk" lately with all that's going on, but I poke my head in here every day to make sure there are no Canon-Nikon wars brewing and to see the nice photography, and once in awhile put something up myself. smile