• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Just a few Questions

bowhunt

This is going to be my first year spearing, I asked a few questions this spring, but now I have a few more.

Question 1: I am looking into buying a spear and have found a couple and want your opinions. I don't care if they are fansy I just want something that will throw straight. If you know of any other places to get a good spear in this price range let me know.

1 - Is from Blizzard Ice Products 7 tine for $65 or 9 tine for 85$

2 - Is from Darkhouse Spearing Supply - Plasma cut $89.95

Question 2: For those spearing out of a pop up style portable house, how do you keep your spear in the water while you are waiting for the illusive pike? I know alot of people with traditional spear houses hook it to the ceiling but it will be tough to do that with the pop up.

Thanks in advance, I am sure I will have more questions as the season nears.

Bowhunt

Plasma cut for fure that's what I started with never missed a fish, its now my wifes spear n she loves it... Maybe cuz I painted it pink for her but yeah.

I spear from a quickfish 3 with a floor I made, merk should probably have the picture of that. I love it the portable, it will hold up, I tie it to a corner bar at the bottom and it doesn't move when I use my spear. Its dark enough and its the most portable. And a mr heater will warm the whole thing up!

Anymore ?'S just ask ill be more than willing to help.

I don't leave the spear in the water the whole time, just when the fish comes. Then I slip it into the water a little ways before I throw. Weather I am in my pop up, or perm house, I usually just have the end of the rope around my wrist with a slipknot, sometimes I tie it to the leg of my chair.

Is there really much difference between a laser cut spear and a plasma cut spear? Just wondering as I don't have experience with either.

Bowhunt

The laser or plasma just refers to process that cut the metal.

Lotsa different ways to cut metal, not to much difference in the end product. Heck nowadays they can cut steel with water (see water jet cutter link)

For more information about the different ways to cut metal you can check out these links.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_cutting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_cutting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_jet_cutter

Question 2: For those spearing out of a pop up style portable house, how do you keep your spear in the water while you are waiting for the illusive pike? I know alot of people with traditional spear houses hook it to the ceiling but it will be tough to do that with the pop up.

Bowhunt

I agree with Laska on the plasma cut spear being a good starter spear but there are some things to look out for too.

Some (not all) plasma or laser cut spears have a tendency to "sail" if not thrown correctly. This comes from the metal above the tines "catching water" much like a paddle does in the water. The weight of the handle also can have an effect on how straight the spear flies. If you release the spear at an angle and the weight of the handle pushes the handle down and the tines up as the handle falls you will miss fish. A good spear will be balanced so this does not happen. If you are "straight down" spearing you will not have that issue.

When beginning spearing you shouldn't have as much of these issues since you shouldn't be taking angle shots when just starting out. Wait for the fish to come into the hole so you can get a good straight down shot. If they won't decoy up just let them sit outside the hole and enjoy watching them. Never take angle shots until you are very comfortable with your ability to connect on these angle shots. It is better to let the fish swim for another day than to take a chance at wounding it and not getting it. You can practice your angle shots on slow days but if you are practicing are probably not going to see any fish. smile

I also recommend keeping your spear out of the water until the fish comes by, there is a small window to get everything together, but you do have time to put all the pieces together and make a clean shot.

Hope this helps

The spear will sail at angle shots that aren't pushed hard enough laser/plasma cut spear are the most common to sail at angled shots but straight down shots is really all I ever take, I'm like merk I rather have a forsure shot at getting the pike than to take an angle shot and only wound the fish. When I first started when it was slow I threw a sucker minnow down the hole and practice hitting it on the bottom helped a lot with accuracy and was kinda fun...

So I have a couple more questions and I figured I would just add them to this thread instead of starting a new one.

First what type of reel do you use for your decoy lines? I don't have anything laying around and wasn't sure what would work best. I was thinking a rattle reel might work well except for the fact that it rattles and I'm not sure if there is a way to put increase drag so the minnow or decoy so they stay where I want them too.

Second but related questions is how to secure the reels for the decoy lines? I was thinking about mounting them on a piece of 2X4 and putting a hole in the 2X4 then using an ice anchor to secure the board to the ice.

Any advice or opinions on these questions is appreciated.

thanks,

Bowhunt

i've used bait casting reels. right now i have 2 fly rod reels. i have 2 boards in my collapsable that i hang my reels from. my wifes spear house has a movable hanger that gets snapped to the wall when not in use. my opinion would be to hang it from above not on the ice. and some here will suggest some silly rhing called a hillbilly spinner, but i wont go there!!!

First what type of reel do you use for your decoy lines?

thanks,

Bowhunt

Lotsa different ways to do this.

Every one is different depending on your house and preferences.

In general I like the lines to go to the ceiling (over a hook, pole, etc) then back down in the center of the hole.

Here are some pics of different options

3163553299_aa137f55f6_z.jpg

3160795784_432a1405e3_z.jpg

The auto wind fly reels are very nice.

CM wiggle takes a setup like this and hacks the end off the pole and replaces it with a large hanging hook. The whole thing hangs over the middle of his hole from the ceiling. When he is done he hits the auto wind and it stores really nice. If a fish comes along and takes his decoy the reel will feed line out so the line does not break. I really like that setup for portables.

vivarelli%20Semi%20Auto%20Reel%20large%2

Merk are those rattle reals in the first two pics? and is there a way to set the drag on them? I might end up doing something like the first couple of pics.

Also I think I need to explain what I was saying a little better. My plan was to attach the reals to the board and then run the lines through a couple loops on the ceiling of the portable so that they would be centered over the hole.

I have seen some "Antique reels" for sale, they look like an old style bait caster to me, would something like that work well?

Bowhunt

baitcaster reel will work. i went to reels when i started using live biat. that nord can fly in takes it outr without snappin the line, works the same with an artifical deke dont lose dekes when they come flying in the reel allows it to go with the nord with no stop to break the line.

Question for Laska, How are you running your reels in the hub style house?

I just bought a 6x8 this year.

this is how I use mine, tie a strap from rod to rod and hang a reel. the reel was made to slide over a 1x2 in my old collapsible, but it works for this too.

P1060721.jpg

I have a older bait casting reel that i have bolted to the floor. It works awesome. Be able to allow line to go if it is that a pike comes and hits it.

Im going to take a ton of photos once i get my house out and ready to roll!

you still lookin to make that spearin video you talked about a few years back? this G-T-G might be a cgood time to do it!!