• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

lab/basset hound mix for hunting?

MNBIGBEAR

I have a lab/hound mix, and it is a great dog. He is 5 months old and listens better than most 5 year old dogs. I taught him how to shake in literally two seconds, just had to grab his hand once and say "shake." I don't hunt with him, but I know if I wanted to I could because he is so easily trained. I don't ever use a leash and he does not wander any farther than I let him.

Another thing, he has a nose that would put any labs nose to shame. My room-mate has a 6 month old lab, and my dog will find any tiny scrap of food well before the lab even gets a whiff of it. This could come in really handy if you are talking pheasant hunting!

The excellent nose and calm nature of most hounds that I have seen is what intrigued me about this mix. I would be using him for pheasant and grouse hunting and have always liked labs. My wife does not want a wild dog and I'm thinkin this might fit the bill. Thanks for replying!

Depending on how much hunting you do I would be worried about the confirmation of the dog. Most of the time basset mixes have horrible leg structure and will not be able to handle a lot of hard running. If you looking for a pet dog first, and then a bird dog second, I say go for it! I just wouldn't put a lot of expectations on it.

This is what I mean.

3834333772_ffe6ebeaea_z.jpg

DSCF0833.jpg

Sorry but who in the H E double hockey sticks would do that to a dog? WTH? Knowing the drive and energy a lab has I find it hard to stomach how a person could cross breed a dog with leg structure like that. Man talk about screwing up a breed.

MNBIGBEAR, that puppy looks like its going to have regular sized legs. It also looks like he is at the Hibbing animal shelter? I recognize the kennels. They are just making a guess at what he really is and they come up with some creative mixes out there. I actually don't think he has any basset by looking at him. My friend got a 50/50 cross between the two breeds and all of the puppies had much shorter legs. Cute little puppy though.... smile