• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Scent Killer Question

TProGuy

As far as using the scent killer spray, I figure it cant hurt at all, the least it could do would be help. And why not use it if you can get 42 ounces of it for pretty much free? The 'duck hill' online store has it on sale for $4.99 and you can still send in the $5 mail-in-rebate (I just got mine back yesterday from the first time it was on sale like this). So you end up only paying for the tax and a stamp in the end. I figure if I'm only spending less than $2 on something that would normally cost me $30 or $40 (you can send 2 rebates in per address) why not use it and use the [PoorWordUsage] out of it. Just my 2 cents to help you all save 2 cents...or like $28

Lots of good comments/ideas/opinions guys...THANKS! The main reason I asked is this - I have been bowhunting for close to 15 years now, and can honestly say that I have ever been scented/busted by a deer. There have been a few times they seemed suspicious, but have never taken off on me. I have always been meticulous about scent control (showering, scent-lok, scent killer, etc.), as I feel it can only help my chances. I was out on Sunday evening, and right at sunset, 2 does started heading my way. When they got to about 40 yards, they were kind of cross-wind from me, with the breeze maybe slightly swirling. I was about 30 feet up in my climber stand. They stopped, sniffed, looked right at me, took 2-3 big hops away from me, and then proceeded to continue on their way, but made very sure they were constantly checking me, and walked completely around me from about 50-60 yards away. Of course, I started to instantly analyze what had happened and what I may have done wrong. I realized that all of my scent killer was a bit on the old side, so I figured that might be it. Somewhere in the list of responses here, the thermal idea really struck a chord, as these does were on the downslope side of a ridge from me when they approached. All in all, I am chalking it up to expereince, and figure it was probably a combination of a few different variables.

TPROGUY, I want to believe you've never been busted by a deer in 15 years, but I don't believe it. It isn't so much busted as meaning these deer that have heightened senses will start to avoid that area as they clearly realize not all is well and bumping deer walking in and out, often times we don't hear or see them but it's happening and not every deer will snort if they scent you. 30 feet up I believe is the reason you aren't busted as much for sure.

I was just going to say that Musky, 30 feet up and all your scent control measures do help, when I was big into scent control there were plenty of times I fooled does and young bucks downwind but a few old does and mature bucks always busted me. I am also very confident you have been busted before but the deer were probably downwind and far enough away that you never knew they were there. Also like Musky said being busted doesn't always mean running off or blowing at you, it might mean skirting your stand like those two does did or just avoiding the area altogether because they have picked up on your hunting pressure.

TproGuy one thing I do to check the thermals is use fluff from Milkweed pods or something like cattail seeds will work too. Usually about an hour or so before the end of shooting light those thermals kick in and suddenly the wind direction is slowed or altered by thermals. You can just barely feel the change but those little milkweeds will take off downhill on you. Same in true in the mornings, the sun hits the ground and everything starts to warm up and the the milkweeds float right on up.

I had read about thermals before but things really clicked for me about 7-8 years ago, I was hunting and had the wind in my face all afternoon and had three does come in but they stayed back about 75 yards. As can happen right before dark the wind died down and the thermals pulled my scent down into the swamp an those does started going crazy blowing at me. At first I was wondering what happened because the does where there for a while feeding and it was no big deal, but they were on a small ridge, as soon as they moved off the ridge into the swamp they got wind of my scent which was being sucked down into that area.

I guess when I mention not being busted by deer, I am referring to them visibly spotting me and taking off or coming into my area and smelling me and avoiding my area as they did on Sunday. By no means did I intend to imply that it doesn't happen at other times, like when I am walking in or out of the stand, or off in the distance somewhere while I am in the stand where I am not aware of it can't see them avoiding me...I am 100% sure that happens from time to time.

Either way, there are already new bottles of scent killer in my hunting bag, just for peace of mind, if nothing else...and I will definitely be thinking about thermal air movement more and more when I am placing my stands.

No worries TPro. The best thing you can take away from the does you saw is that nothing is 100% and its very possible that no amount of scent control can beat the nose of a mature deer. The one thing that makes this site so great is we can learn and bounce different ideas and deer hunting theories off each other. I know I have learned a ton over the years from guys on this site and I hope I have helped a few people as well.

Thanks for the thoughts and ideas, Bear...they are greatly appreciated!

I see you are in Crow Wing County...I will be heading there in the morning for a couple days to give it another shot. Hopefully it turns out better than last weekend, and I can come home with some tasty venison for the freezer!

Great post and completely agree with most of it. I practice all the scent control stuff but not religiously. The biggest things I do are (a) try to make sure I'm not overly sweaty or smell like a roast beef dinner we had that afternoon before I go out and (B) play the wind. And there are plenty of times when I've seen lots of deer when only (B) applied. : ) When I'm done with a hunt, I spray my clothes down with SK, line dry them and throw them in a giant ziplock.