• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dog bleeding from mouth......

LakeDocktor

I have been running my 15 month old Shorthair for the past couple weeks trying to get her on some birds. She is nonstop and never tires out. After a little while, she will start running mouth wide open and tongue hanging out. The problem is that it seems like she is getting grass cuts on her tongue and the inside of her mouth. I wouldn't normally be too worried, but it seems like it is bleeding a lot and for quite some time.

Yesterday, the same thing happened. I noticed it right away and gave her some water to wash her mouth out but it kept bleeding. It doesn't seem to affect her and she isn't in any pain, but it's starting to worry me. We left after an hour yesterday and the whole way home it kept bleeding and dripping everywhere, but stopped when we got home. I'm just worried that once pheasant season rolls around and I'm running her for long periods that she will lose a lot of blood and cause her to weaken. The last thing I want is her to feel pain or have a negative experience while looking for birds.

Anyone else ever have this happen or have any suggestions?

Normal. It is amazing hwo long a dogs tongue will bleed. Keep the dog hydrated when hunting and it will not be an issue. If my dogs aren't bleeding when I am hunting it would be amazing. The dogs blood is pumping through its body and will continued to drip until the heart rate is somewhat back to normal. Unless you can see that the dog is cut to the point where it needs stiches I wouldn't worry. My dog cut her back once in south Dakota 1.5 miles from our truck and wouldn't stop hunting on the way back to the car. 28 staples later all she wanted to do was go back hunting. I didn't hunt her the rest of the day as the vet said hodl off till the next day. If you have had a dog long enough you know that dogs are a lot tougher than people.