• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

too many pics on my computer??

What do I do with thousands of images on my computer?

I don't want to delete them all, but I am not into sorting through seeing what ones I want to save. Is there any way of putting them on some kind of disc or CD so I have them still, but can delete them off my PC?

Thanks!

First of all you can NEVER have too many back ups. I have personally and known of too many horror stories of people losing all their photos and its tough to recover from.

BUT...I recommend putting them on flash drives(can get them pretty cheap now especially at the holidays), also what I use is an external hard drive. Mine ran me about $130 bucks from best buy but its a 2TB drive and it will be tough to fill it for a long time.

I actually have an external hard drive I bought a few years ago because my last computer had such a tiny amount of space that it kept getting filled haha, maye I should dig that out and delete all the crappy stuff on it and put my pics there?

I need to make room cuz I got a new camera and am taking more pics than ever! crazy

Some good advice given already. I do multiple backups, DVD, External drive, server and second hard drive in my computer. Most folks don't need that level of redundancy but do not put all of your eggs in one basket, another words you should have at least one method of off site storage or something that can be stored in a fireproof, waterproof safe on site. I find an external drive to be the best suited for this.

I am not a big fan of flash drives, not when you can buy external drives as cheaply as you can these days. I have two external enclosures that I just swap drives into when they get full. The full drives are stored on site in the above mentioned safe. So no need to keep buy a portable drive I just buy a plain old hard drive. I don't use drives bigger than 1TB, in fact usually they are 500 to 750's. If that 1TB drive where to fail I don't want to loose 1TB of data, maybe just 500gb or 750gb.

The DVD storage is a short term solution, they eventually it appears (years???) will erode and data will become difficult to extract from it. Also remember cassettes, Eight tracks, reel to reel, floppy drives, etc.? You see my point data storage becomes a constantly evolving technology, don't get wrapped into one form of storage!