• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

help me find the bucks

Abndoc

I have a draw leading down to the river by my house with crp fields on both sides. I put a camera out on wed afternoon. Just pulled the card and have 60 pictures. All does and fawns. Would you a put a stand up there or do some more scouting. i only hunt this spot when time is limited. what do you guys think?

The draw would be a great spot just before and during the rut when the bucks are cruising. They'll be there looking for hot does. I have a spot I hunt that I almost never see bucks. I hunted there the week before gun opener last year and passed on three different 8 pointers before getting a 10 pointer.

You dont say how much land you have? Alot depends on that. If this is only 5-40 acres I wouldnt go doing to much scouting right now unless you plan on letting it set for a litle while. Now if its more, id explore some but not get in the thick stuff right now. I wouldnt want to push any deer off with only a week to go before opener. But there are a ton of variables.

As long as you have does you will have bucks eventually. Alot of us are losing our bucks right now on cameras. Just going out of velvet and getting in that typical early fall disapearing act.

I'd say you have yourself a good doe hunting area for now, this will be a great spot once the rut kicks in. When I go out hunting I decide right then and there if I am going for a buck or a doe and choose my spots accordingly. Outside the rut you probably aren't going to find to many one size fits all areas.

The best advice I can give to help you find the bucks is to look where the hunters aren't. The big bucks usually find an area where they don't see much pressure and where they have an advantage to see, hear, or smell you coming.

Might not hurt to get a stand/blind in there now, but maybe just keep letting your camera do the work for you until you start seeing bucks. Does don't really like bucks around when they are raising their fawns, so the bucks group up during the summer and are probably somewhere close by.

If you do hunt there and end up getting busted by some of the does, they might change locations or movement patterns, or become a lot more nocturnal, and that could wreck your chance at a buck. If it's only a buck you want, and you have all does right now, you might want to wait a while to hunt to avoid spooking those away. If there's does, there will eventually be bucks. Sounds like you have a good spot.