• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

deadrise on a boat

fasternu

Sorry for the silly question, but can someone explain to me what exactly the deadrise is on a boat, and why the different angles are so important (for instance, the difference between a 12 degree or 17 degree)? Thanks in advance.

Good diagram, and I'll elaborate on it a little.

Boats with deeper or steeper deadrises will be much smoother riding in rough water, but will be less stable / more tippy when fishing, or in calm water, etc. I think the classic example of a steep deadrise boat are the center-console fiberglass boats that are so popular with saltwater in-shore fisherman.

Low deadrise hulls, and even the medium deadrise and variable deadrise hulls, are much more stable fishing platforms, not very side-to-side tippy at all ---- but will pound the [snot] out of you when running in rough water - ie. Lund, Alumacraft, Crestliner, etc.

Hope that helps .......

I can fill in a bit from when I worked for a boat company The Variable degree dead rise is the best you start out with a 12 degree at the transom and it increases as you move to the bow. this does a couple things low degree at transom allows the boat to plane quickly with less HP and the deeper v cuts the wave where the boat impacts it the bow.

Welded aluminum and fiberglass boats have this ability the riveted hulls do not

have this ability