• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Burning Bushes.

MN Shutterbug

We bought a different house this spring and next year I plan on planting some bushes as a privacy hedge. I want something with some color and have been considering Burning Bushes. According to a HSOforum I can order from, they should do fine in this zone. However, a friend of mine that does landscaping on the side says that he has had mixed results with these bushes. If I do go this route, I'll be ordering them already 3 - 5 feet tall. Has anyone had any experience with these bushes, good or bad? I'll also be buying some Forsythias for another side of my backyard.

Mike, a compact cultivar of Burning Bush (also known as Winged Euonymus) was only intermittently winter hardy in Twin Cities plantings, so it may be that to which your friend was alluding.

But you're likely talking about planting the standard Winged Euonymus (Euonymus alata).if you're looking at a privacy hedge. They grow 8-10 feet tall and are hardy to Zone 3. While I don't have any right now, I've planted and trimmed quite a few of them over they years, and they are a great option for what you have in mind. Rabbits can do a fair amount of damage in winter, especially on younger plants, so people who plant one or two shrubs for accents often wrap them in chicken wire in winter. With a hedge, that can be a lot of work.

They like full sun but will tolerate partial shade. Sunny sites will deliver the deep red fall foliage. In shadier locations, the leaves tend more toward pink/medium red.

Love those Forsythia, too. We have two. Pretty yellow flowers early in the year, bright red Burning Bushes in autumn. smile

I ony have two by the house, not sure how they would be as a hedge. They seem to do really good here. I trim them a coule times year so they dont't get to big by the house. The only thing I've noticed is the the rabbits seem to really like them in the winter. The leaves turn a rich red in the fall which is neat I think.

Thanks for the advice, guys. The bushes I was looking at online are the compact ones. Maybe I'll just go with the forsythias for both sides. We do have a bunny or 2 in the neighborhood. I can buy them up to 2 gallon size. Does anyone have any idea how tall 2 gallon would be? I don't want to plant bushes and then have to wait a couple years for them to be tall enough to give me the privacy I want.

We have 1 barberry in front of the house and my wife wanted to dig it out. I wouldn't let her because I think it's kinda purty, but I don't think I'd want 40 feet of thorns, especially when it comes to pruning. shocked Basically, I want something that grows fairly fast to a moderate height and width, that shows colors other than green, is low maintenance and attracts birds. Am I asking for too much? smile

And, something the bunnys won't devour.

Mike, look at the Highbush Cranberry (Viburnum trilobum)). Very pretty serrated three-lobed leaves, beautiful white flowers, berries prized by birds, nice red fall foliage. Hardy as can be. Grows up to 10 feet. Not typically a hedge shrub, but will respond well to pruning.

You could also mix and match. Nothing wrong with alternating between Highbush Cranberry, Winged Euonyumus and, say one or two of the Dogwood species. That way you'd only have a couple-three Euonymus shrubs to protect in winter. Plus, you can get Dogwood varieties with bright yellow or bright red twigs, which makes for a neat winter accent. There also are Dogwood out there with variegated white/green leaves.

Alternating shrub species makes for a less boring, less "hedgy" feel while still delivering privacy. We love nothing better than running a row of different varieties of tall shrubs along a fence or a property line, and then putting in lots of different shorter perennials in front of them.

Burning bush are slow growing and recover poorly from any kind of damage. They are an absolute rabbit magnet.

For what you described that you are looking for, I'd strongly recommend a larger member of the Viburnum family. Arrowood, Wayfaring, Highbush Cranberry etc. Viburnums are very hardy, have great fall color and will recover if a chunk gets broken out.