• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat hit by deer ... now what?

Dahitman44

We were driving home at about 4 p.m. on a very busy Highway 10 and a deer jumped out of the median and drilled our 2007 185 Trophy. It hit near the bow and did some major damage. Also cracked the shaft on my mNKota Trolling motor.

Luckily nobody was hurt and I kept it on the road. It was VERY busy in part because of We-Fest.

What happens now - -will it be totaled? What should I watch out for?

I know when my tuck ewas totaled about 9 years ago the claims guy really messed up and tried to mess us over with hwat HE thought the truck was and what it was worth. HE made a $4,500 "Mistake" on his calculations...

Any comments would be helpful.

Hit

Your trolling motor isn't that expensive to replace, and since you've got an aluminum hull I can't imagine the repairs will be more than a 3-year-old boat is worth. Then again, without pictures it's tough for any of us to tell.

You're on the right path. Call your insurance agent and get the claims adjuster out there. For your own piece of mind, tow your rig over to a repair shop and get a quick estimate so you know about what the repair should be. That'll help you when talking with a bad claims guy.

Good luck

I don't know, but I would guess it would be totaled out vs repair if it's as bad as you make it. If the bow and gunwhale were bent pretty good, and possibly the support structure in the bow was compromised it could be a very costly repair....if they can even do it.

What engine is on it?

Was there or is there a loan on the boat? Some insurances offer "new replacement" if the boat is two or three years old. When I purchased my boat,if it was "totaled" within three years,I got a brand new boat with accessories. I think I had to pay around $10-20 extra a year for it.

Update --

the insurance is paying for a partial new boat and trailer and taking my old motors off of the old one.

In the end I only lost $3,000 and have a new boat and much bigger/better trailer. (at first they had a 2100 pounder on it -- now it is a 3100 pound trailer and it sits up on it a lot better.)

All-in-all not too bad I guess.

Going to get REPLACEMENT coverage now though ...