• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Big ten hockey

cbrooks

Ill take it. I dont think it will be that hard of a stretch for em. I bet they do a loss and tie type a thing, but they just might not get swept.

Obviously I hope they get swept.

I have an old sweatshirt, hat and t-shirt. I think I got them once upon a time during a recruiting visit. I cant remember. My brother had actually signed to play for the Sioux in the late 90's too. BUt ended up not going. So they might be from that.

Stinking Sioux, I cant believe I havent burnt that junk. My wife got one of those license plate covers, she didnt even get one screw in before I took care of that.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bear, you can make that three times in the last 11 years grin I know its a long shot but what the heck, I'm pump for some college hockey.

Scott, you had a brother who almost played for the Sioux. You must have talk him out of going. I'm just curious where did he end up playing?

WI, St Cloud seem to sweep the Sioux early in the year so look for them or a surprise from Alaska, Tech, or Mankato because its happened before. You also have those two new wild card Bemidji and Omaha teams to think about, like I said before easy money, or easy sig.

It would be all that much sweeter if the Gophs pulled off a sweep of the Sioux but who I am kidding, those odds are slim to none.

Bear, you can make that three times in the last 11 years grin I know its a long shot but what the heck, I'm pump for some college hockey.

Actually that is ok, that probably means two of those season were under Blais and Hakstol has only pulled it off once.

If your thinking Hack isn't a good enough coach I'll disagree there. The only drawback with his teams, they start off slow and after christmas break they will get on a roll that carries them into the final five where they peak and then fizzle. Hackstal has to show that his team can win in the NCAA playoffs. I think this year is gonna be different from his other teams. Hack got alot to prove this coming year it will be interesting.

This bet is just to get some interest going. Hockey season is sneaking up on us. I seriously beleive UND will have there best shot at winning the big one finally. The only team in the WCHA that could take out UND is UMD. They a have alot of good players on that team. I guess SCSU is pretty good too, other wise the other teams lost alot of underclassman. Look at Denver and Wisconsin.

Good point Bear. The Sioux do suck in the begining of the season. We might have this bet one by week 5 or 6.

He ended up going no where. He and another player signed scholarships with UND and then went out to celebrate while in Bismack or somewhere. To celebrate they and a group took a boat out for a cruise on the river and ended up slamming into a dock slip or something. Cops came and all that jazz, so they ended up either getting their offers yanked or suspended for a year. I cant remember. Underage drinking, property damage and whatever else went with it. he ended up breaking his back at Sioux city and couldnt cut it anymore.

Ah man, back injuries are the worse. He must have been pretty good to have a D1 school looking at him. I wonder if he ended up playing for the Sioux how you(being the hater you are) would ever cheer for your brothers team. You would go flipping nuts during UND Minnesota series.

Brooks I will agree Hak is a good coach, just not a great coach. He's done some nice things but he alwasy seems to come up just short when it counts. I've compared him may times to Wooger, a very good but not great coach.

I can't argrue with that bear. He'll need a couple of NCAA championship until he can be compared with the best IMO. He'll get there sooner or later as long as he stays with UND and doesn't get an big offer to go somewhere else.

Eh, look at how Minnesota won their championships 8 years ago. They started off slow too. With all of the parity today, I don't think it's possible to dominate the WCHA regular season from beginning to end and then be able to carry it on through another 5 or 6 games in the playoffs. If that's true, the best thing to do is start off a little slower and gather steam.

Hak has gotten them to the F4 so many times, it's only a matter of time before he wins it. Just hope this is not their year!

I agree sobles, tons of parity these days and there are a lot of teams that can actually pull of a National Championship, well I guess 16 for sure but not too long ago you could probably pick 4 or 5 teams that had a realistic shot, now its almost wide open. I would even say there are teams left out of the 16 team NCAA field who have the skills the make a run if they were in it.

Heck even my lowly gophers could have a turn around year and make a run at the right time to win the NC. A good but not great Michigan State did that a few years back.

Hmmm maybe we should just let everyone in and have a mega tournament. Sadly we don't have enough teams to fill out a 64 team field but he top seeds could get a bye and play at home until we are paired down to some regionals and the frozen four. Think of all the upsets!

In the WCHA it seriously looks like the teams try harder and would rather win the final 5 at the xcel then go the distance to the frozen 4. I know it cant be true. But the players play with way more emotion during the inter-league tourny.

I still have mixed feelings about Hak. He needs to win or people are going to get restless up there. Who cares if you make the 4 and loose every year. (by the way I would love for that to have happened to the gophs the last 5 years). I dont know what pushes a team over the top to be champions any more. I really dont think the best team wins anymore. I havent been impressed with the tourny for the last 5 or 6 years. Bear, Michigan State, id put them at mediocre that year.

Brooks, id still hate the Sioux. They just arn't a team that I would like. I am such a homer too. I cant stand all the Canadian players that go there. I like what the U of M is built on. Guys from MN, playing for their college and representing their state. Giving MN hockey players something to be proud.

When I think of the Siuox I think... "well I went to UND. they have a hockey team. I might as well cheer for them. Its warmer in this ice arena than it is outside, I might as well watch hockey then. The players are from all over Canada with a few MN's slipped in. so I guess that is exotic, cool, Go Sioux"

I wish I could add an accent to my parity there.

]

When I think of the Siuox I think... "well I went to UND. they have a hockey team. I might as well cheer for them. Its warmer in this ice arena than it is outside, I might as well watch hockey then. The players are from all over Canada with a few MN's slipped in. so I guess that is exotic, cool, Go Sioux"

I wish I could add an accent to my parity there.

laugh. Pretty funny Scott. Ever since they got the new Ralph the hockey games became more of a scene. Some might not like my opinion but in away I miss the old Ralph. It had more of a hockey game feel to it and the fans seem different too. They were more hockey smart back then. People came to watch hockey then. Not to be scene. I'm not the first person to have said that either. I may have [PoorWordUsage] off a few UND fans but there's a few that will agree.

Scott you can't do a Nordakota accent? I have a brother from Portland that says I have the thickest accent. I've been called out on my accent a few times. I'll try to put it on all my hockey post from now on smile

]In the WCHA it seriously looks like the teams try harder and would rather win the final 5 at the xcel then go the distance to the frozen 4. I know it cant be true. But the players play with way more emotion during the inter-league tourny.

You know I have thought the same thing before, I think it has to be the atmosphere. I think the guys are going 100% during the entire post season but there just seems everything is kicked up a notch. A lot of times you don't see that those regionals and even in the championship game because the the crowd is so mixed.

Here’s the text of the Big Ten’s statement in reaction to Penn State’s announcement that it’s adding men’s and women’s hockey:

The Big Ten Conference is excited about Penn State’s recent announcement regarding the establishment of NCAA Division I men’s and women’s ice hockey programs set to begin competition in the 2012-13 academic year. Our institutions have longstanding relationships with Division I, Division II, and Division III college hockey programs that have benefitted both our institutions and the entire national hockey community.

For many years, we have had five institutions sponsoring Division I men’s ice hockey programs – Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Ohio State, and Wisconsin. Big Ten rules allow for a championship whenever there are six institutions sponsoring a program in any given sport. This leads to the presumption that there will be a Big Ten Men’s Ice Hockey Championship at some point in the future. A decision of that nature, however, cannot be made without a significant amount of discussion both internally with conference chancellors, presidents, administrators and coaches, and externally with the hockey community as a whole. Whatever we do, we will communicate in a respectful and responsible way as we endeavor to balance all of the unique interests in play.

We congratulate Penn State and wish them well as they continue to provide the most broad-based opportunities possible for their student-athletes.

Alright Bear and Scott here's the bet so no one can weasel(rodent fans) there way out of this. UND has to go unswept by a WCHA team in order for me to win. Out of conference games don't count.

WOW, good thing you put in that disclaimer, eh?

UMD is looking great, but they haven't played anyone good yet so I really have nothing to be excited about. We play our first real opponent this weekend in Bemidji. They always play the Dogs really tough.

I love it. Everybodies a hater now. I'm alittle worried that they got swept a east team. I wasn't able to watch the game Saturday I was in Green Bay. It was a tough weekend on all my teams this weekend.

How did them Gophers do grin

If they keep this pattern we should have a new coach next year.

I agree, but Mr Blais seems to be doing just fine at UNO. Lots of other great candidates out there though.

Now that my fishing is done, it's time to start watching hockey.