• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fixing a dog

Capt'nMorgan

How old should a female be before she can be spaded? She is 14wks old now. I do think its to early, but was wondering if it could be done before pheasant opener or should I wait till this winter? I would like to have the scare healed up good before she starts hunting so it doesn't get tore open or infected.

I was told by a professional trainer to wait until my female lab was over a year and a half old, or went through a couple heat cycles. He said it's good to do this because then you know your dog has gotten all the necessary hormones and chemicals from the reproductive organs to mature to it's full potential. i did this and got her spade recently at 14 months. Don't know if this all is true but i guess i listened to the pros. I've seen many great hunters/companions that have been spade early or late in life and all turned out good. I do recommend getting it done during the off season because you don't want the wound to interfere with hunting, as you stated. also it's not a bad idea to have your dog spade before season incase she comes into heat during the hunting season. this can ruin a trip if your buddies have studs, because neither dog wants to hunt, as the male is chasing tail the whole time and the female is trying to play hard to get...

I had my GSP female spayed at 9 months. that was on the recommendation of the vet. She'll turn a year in august. I was told by a trainer to get her fixed before her first heat cycle. kinda like a ford/chevy/dodge thing. different people have different preferences. you just have to do what works for you.

Most Vets will tell you to spay before their 1st heat cycle. These are Docs and not a trainer... they know more about whats best and not stories of what is best as to when for hunting, weight control, hyper activity blah blah blah.

Do it before her 1st cycle and you have an almost zero chance of breast cancer... by her third cycle it is down to reducing the chance to 50%. Most vets will tell you their is little if anything to gain in waiting. Go with your vets recommendation.

Good Luck!

Ken

Good artcle. I think it's important to note that it was written by a vet. I would take what is written there into my decision on when to spay... but ultimatley I will make my decision based on answers given by a vet vs. trainers, or buddies, or breeders or.... etc.

Good Luck!

Ken

Here is another interesting article, it is a little longer.

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdf

The traditional spay/neuter age of six months as well as the modern practice of pediatric spay/neuter appear

to predispose dogs to health risks that could otherwise be avoided by waiting until the dog is physically

mature, or perhaps in the case of many male dogs, foregoing it altogether unless medically necessary.

That paragraph right there pretty much sums up my thinking on the whole thing, personally. Besides, what happens if my dog suddenly becomes this uber hunting machine and someone wants him for stud? Can't do that without being "intact."