• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

racoons on the property and garden.

reinhard1

never had a problem with racoons on my property. i have always had my two retrievers until i had to put them asleep 6 months apart after 15 years. i always thought the scent of dogs kept them away. anyone know how to get rid of them? thank you. good luck.

Dogs and guns are the only real way I've found to keep coons and possoms out of my property.

Steve's right about the yote piddle. It will work for a while but they'll figure it out.

Why are they coming onto your property? If you can eliminate what they want maybe they'll go somewhere else.

these are young raccoons,guess doesnt make a difference. i haven't seen the adult for a long time. i'll try the urine. they feed under the bird feeder. hard to get rid of that. getting another dog right now would be tough. putting our two dogs to sleep was hard on us even though we had dogs all of our lives. i'll try not putting any bird food out for a month also. thank you for your ideas. good luck.

We have similar situation. As the critters mature and the bird feeder spill-over diminishes they will start to fade away. We still have one drop by now and then but they CANNOT get at any of the feeders we have up and so they more or less just pass through.

Work to secure your feeders and keep garbage locked away. And I totally understand your feelings about starting with another dog.

[PoorWordUsage], it's hard on a guy when they go.

Making the bird feeders inaccessible is your best bet like others have mentioned. Or, if you're a bowhunter, you could have some fun with blunt tipped arrows like I did last year. I had a pack of six huge adults racoons around the bird feeder last year and nailed one from the upstairs bedroom window. There was a poof of fur and he turned on the other five snarling and they all started fighting and ran off. Good times, good times.

A live trap baited with half an ear of sweet corn works surprisingly well. Be sure to wire the cob to the back end of the trap to delay them long enough that they step on the trigger plate.

You can release them elsewhere or dispatch of them however you please. Remember they are protected and have a season. You may want to look into that.

To keep them out of a bird feeder on a post, just slip a section of 6" round heat duct over the post. They cannot climb up the slippery metal. Works 100%!

thank you, i did not know there was a season. as i stated before my feeders are hanging from a high branch of a oak tree on 20lb test so they cant get to them. but i like your advice with the trap but an arrow will probly be my take after i check the season and other things dont work. thank you and good luck.

Doesn't need to be in season to shoot them with a judo point or whatever you call it. They think twice about coming back for awhile after a nasty bruise from one of those. Not a permanent solution, but it's a deterrant for awhile.