• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bug Tamer

I'm thinking about ordering a Big Leaf Bug Tamer this year. Any recommendations or thoughts?

I guess my biggest concerns are:

1. Is it light enough and does it breath enough to be comfortable in 80* weather. Or will I be sweating and stinking up a storm with the suit on?

2. How does it fair in the rain?

TIA

Hey,

I bought my son one with the big leaf. His is MO Breakup with out scent-lok

Just hand wash it in scent killer laundry soap and line dry it.

rain or shine, it's been holding up great for 7 years now.

If it's hot outside he'll wear an light weight x-scent [black] base layer, the suit, a pair of sock liners and baking soda in the non-insulated rubber boots, face paint and bug gloves. That's it, no extra ball cap, no heavy boots.

This is where a fanny pack comes in handy, cell phone{on silent}, tags/license, knife, gps, thermacell.

You can't go wrong with the tamer suit.

Hey,

I bought my son one with the big leaf. His is MO Breakup with out scent-lok

Just hand wash it in scent killer laundry soap and line dry it.

rain or shine, it's been holding up great for 7 years now.

If it's hot outside he'll wear an light weight x-scent [black] base layer, the suit, a pair of sock liners and baking soda in the non-insulated rubber boots, face paint and bug gloves. That's it, no extra ball cap, no heavy boots.

This is where a fanny pack comes in handy, cell phone{on silent}, tags/license, knife, gps, thermacell.

You can't go wrong with the tamer suit.

Good to hear!

I have mine on order with gloves and hood

yeah, my son's came with a hood, gloves were seperate.

But couple things we realized,

if it's hot out having a hat on holds the heat on your head right?

so the hood is awesome by itself, it's very large. I think you could wear a cowboy hat under it since it's so big.

Under low light conditions [or getting close to what I call "prime time"] it's easier to see without the hood on.

If you're bow hunting, you'll most likely have the hood off to see through peep sights/sight pins, binoculars, and the gloves off to work the release and feel your anchor point.

[Thank god for thermacell]

either way, you need to practice shooting from exactly what dictates

your hunting situations, rain, shine, low light, near underbrush, elevated or on the ground ambush points while wearing your hunting clothes.

Gloves, binos, range finders, quivers, mask's, hoods, hats everything inbetween included. On or off it makes perfect common safe and ethical hunting sense.

just do it. .

The tamer big leaf has material that can get caught up in the bow string. My son has harvested at least 4 deer with the suit on, and no problems. He always has the hood up and gloves off near prime time.

good luck this season

Thanks psepuncher

I'm sure I'll wear it in the stand some days but my biggest reason for getting it is for more spring and summer scouting.

There seems to be no shortage of bugs in our area this year.

I was wondering about the leaves on the bow arm. Some trimming might be in order if they become a problem.

I know I'll wear it with all my gear to practice shooting. It gives the wife another chance to roll her eyes at me smile

I got the bug suit today and tried it out. There aren't many bugs out right now but I'm pretty confident it can handle the bugs. My biggest questions are comfort, staying cool and getting in the way of shooting.

First thing I noticed when stepping outside is that the air moves right through it. So if there is a breeze, it is very comfortable. Of course today is cooler (72*) and who knows what it would be like in 85* weather.

I also shot some arrows with it on. I shot with the hood up and even with the hood down with no interference. The only thing I noticed is the glove on my release hand has to come of for shooting -- but that is no big deal. In a hunting situation I would probably still pull the hood up and take both gloves off unless I get more comfortable shooting this way before the season opens.

I have 2 trips planned to bug country in the next 2 weeks so I'm sure I'll get plenty of opportunity to test it out on the bugs soon.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations.

When it's rather hot out and I am wearing my Bug Tamer I learned this trick from another to use.

I take my Bug Tamer coat and soak it in very cold water. The roping in the jacket will soak up the water and it will help keep one cool for awhile. If there is a breeze, it's like air conditioning.

Try it and you will find it helps.

When it's rather hot out and I am wearing my Bug Tamer I learned this trick from another to use.

I take my Bug Tamer coat and soak it in very cold water. The roping in the jacket will soak up the water and it will help keep one cool for awhile. If there is a breeze, it's like air conditioning.

Try it and you will find it helps.

I didn't try getting it wet yet but I did have the suit on for my scouting this weekend. All I can say is I wish I had bought it sooner. No swatting, no rushing through the woods, it takes a couple minutes to get used to the sound of flies and mosquitoes buzzing around and landing on you without having to react.

All I know is I will have far more scouting opportunities now that I won't be driven in by bugs. My brow got pretty sweaty yesterday but it was probably 80* while I was out scouting around.

sounds like your enjoying the suit already.

get a headband like tennis playes use and spray it with scent killer.

and to keep your feet cool, just load the boot with baking soda and wear just a thin sock liner. since the baking soda is an odor absorber wash your boots often and before a hunt. Better yet keep an extra set of hunting boots aside.

Since I get into thick cover somtimes while scouting, I wear an un-insulated snake boot that protects my lower legs from heavy sticks, brush and thorns.

Just becareful not to rip your bug-suit.

good luck