• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

resetable breaker vs. inline fuse

bobbymalone

Bought a new MK 55lb PDV2 last night and MK says you should run a 60A resetable circuit breaker on it. What is the reasoning for this? I am thinking it is mainly to sell MK's $40 breaker and to avoid the hassle of carrying and switching fuses should one blow.

Should I have any problems with just running an inline rated for 60?

Any ideas where I can pick up a resettable breaker, other than the $40 job from the MK dealer? I have got a couple blank stares from the local auto parts stores.

You shouldn't have any problems running it at all, especially if the wire is sized properly. I suspect the reason they recommend the resetable breaker is if it ever would trip, you can reset it. If you have inline fuses, how many people are going to carry a set of spare fuses and how many stores will stock 60 amp fuses?

If you have inline fuses, how many people are going to carry a set of spare fuses and how many stores will stock 60 amp fuses?

Not sure about the availibility of 60A fuses, but I carry a full array of fuses for my onboard electrical stuff in a waterproof box. Sucks when you go to plug in the spotlight or something and it doesn't work

I was just at the Motor Clinic in Bloomington (Minn-Kota service center) and the guy also told me not to use in-line fuse. Not just because they will blow and you may not have a spare but because they will blow and melt the fuze holder and your trolling motor will be done for the day. Exactly what happened to me this weekend. In any event he sold me the generic circuit breaker they use in their service department and it was only $11.99 (only $7.99 on cabelas web site of you are around one of their stores or have time to wait for shipping).

It won't be a problem unless you have faulty wiring or decide to get really creative with your wiring.

Or you find a way to wrap a large patch of weeds on the motor and keep running it at wide open.

Another vote for circut breakers here.