• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2002 Crestliner Sportfish 1850 / 125 HP Merc.

jason007

I am looking for any feedback on this boat and motor. I found this boat for sale on C.L. and plan on purchasing it tomorrow but just want to be sure I am not getting something that is know for issues or anything like that.

I am mainly concerned about the motor. The seller couldn't tell me much about the motor but did say it was what came with the boat when the bought the boat new. I am assuming it is a 2 Stroke motor. Anyone have any feedback good or bad on this setup?

Jason

I owned a 2004 1700 superhawk with a yam 115 4 stroke and I paid 16000 brand new. I was looking at the 1850 sportfish w/ 150 yam 4 stroke for only $2000 more and the wife wouldn't let me pull the trigger. I would be a litttle concerned that the 125 is two small for the boat and if the merc is a 2 stroke then I feel the price is too high. I'm by no means a expert and I haven't priced used boats lately so I might be way off base here. Good Luck don't pull the trigger to quick, boat prices tend to drop in Sept.

Mark

Hey Jason!1 You'll love the boat but look carefully at the motor. I also think you can get an equivalent boat for less money. The FishHawks are just great fishin' boats and if it had a 115 or 125 Yamaha on it I'd me more enthusiastic about it.

How's the trailer? Look it over closely.

The sportfish is a sweet boat but a 125 I think is under powered. The Sportfish 1850 is a heavy boat with a deeper V and it needs the extra oompyh. I think their rated for a 175 hp

The one I ran in was a 98 with a 150 and the guy purchased it used for $1400 last year

but it had all the accessories like a four stroke kicker, full canvas top trolling moter and 3 depth finders. Fully rigged out and in mint condition

I am expecting this boat to do double duty. It must be powerful enough to pull the kids tubing and skiing, and it needs to be a great fishing boat. I pictured this one fitting the bill. Do I need to reconsider this boat due to the motor size?

I have this boat myself only it is a 01.

The 125 will work fine for you I'm able to pull to 150 i=lbs kids on wake boards and it move fast enough to get you where you need to go. I had a fishhawk before this boat and loved it as a fishing boat but we needed somthing a little bigger and the windshield and top are a nice option to have.

I think the 12500. is a good price. You will need to figure some money in on a trolling motor and a fish finder but still a good deal.

Another thing is if you like to fish big waters you will have no worries with this boat.

Sifty

With the 150 it had a nice punch out of the hole and it topped out around 40 it also sucked the fuel. Tubing and skiing should be doable with the 125 but its going to work harder.

Try to test drive it to see how it comes out of the whole. If your going to fish big water and the big waves show up your going to wish you had the bigger motor. Smaller lakes you will be fine.

As for the price sounds a bit steep with that motor and nothing else to go with it.

As for reconsidering for that price, toss up. Its hard because that sportfish is an awesome boat.

Probably a little late on posting this....but I have had an 02' 1850 Sportfish with a 115 Yami 4 stroke for a couple years now. While the engine may be a little underpowered it in no way keeps me from doing anything I want to with this boat. My boat tops out at 38.5mph loaded, I would expect the 125 to maybe do a bit better than that (maybe 40). I have no problems pulling up skiers and have posted a video and details HERE that shows what the boat will do as far as towing when fully loaded. I certainly would like a bigger motor but in no way do I feel it restricts me in any way.

I primarily fish big waters (Leech and Mille Lacs) and have not had any issues on those lakes with my boat/motor combination. I have been out a good ways in decent waves and while I need to take my time going back when driving into 3'+ waves (last weekend was only doing 14mph into 3' waves) , I am not sure if a bigger motor would help much more. Maybe it would help me skip across the waves at a faster speed.....but not sure without the boat taking a beating.

I would agree that the price may be a little high for not having any extra's thrown in. These boats don't last long when they do come up for sale though so I don't think you will find one for much less.