• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Good Compound Bow for a beginner?

Can anyone recommend a good, solid bow for a beginner deer hunter?

I've been gun hunting for years, but never bow hunted before. An old friend of mine convinced me a few years ago to buy a recurve bow. However, I just haven't had enough time to practice it every day and become proficient at it.... thus i've never hunted with it.

I'm willing to spend some money on it...... maybe 300-350 bucks for the bow and a little extra for some arrows.

I don't know much about bow hunting so I need some advice on:

What brands do you recommend?

What model do you recommend?

What draw weight should I get? I plan to hunt mainly whitetails, but may be taking it out to Colorado to hunt elk in the next few years.

Thanks

Chris

I would look into a Parker. That was my first bow and it was a solid bow, and I still have some friends that bought the same model around the same time and are still shooting theirs today. I paid around $450 for mine all set up brand new, I think it was the hunter mag model, the price might have gone up a little but I think Parkers are still at the lower end of the pay scale and a very good bow.

You can also go to a pro shop like windowpane suggested and see if they have any used ones that you like. You can usually get some high end bows that are a couple years old in the $400-$500 range.

As for draw weight get whatever you can pull back. Dont go with too much, this is a mistake that alot of beginners make. If 60 pounds is really easy for you and you dont think you will have a problem pulling it back in December when it below zero maybe try 70 and see how that feels. Remember its going to be alot harder to draw back when you've been sitting still for 3 hours in a little stand and then have a deer walk in front of you.

Brand isn't nearly as important as fit. Like others have mentioned, go check out a proshop or 2 near you and take a look at some used rigs. You'll get more bang for your buck getting a used higher end bow than say, a new PSE Nova. Bows depreciate like cars. Shoot a few different ones and go from there. Accessories will add up fast so make sure your budget is known in advance. Have fun making the switch.

I know it sounds funny, but the right answer really is "the bow that feels best to you." You might know what you like and us telling you what to like isn't gonna help. I totally recommend hitting a proshop or two. They will have the new ones and the used ones. COmpare and ask lots of questions. They want to sell so they will help you.

A bow is more than the bow. It needs a rest, sight, strap and quiver. You'll also want a bow case to protect it. Plus arrows, target tips and broadheads.

My first bow was a 5yr old used one that I paid $200 for. It worked great until I learned more and decided on a new bow.

Good luck! I live on the west side of the cities, but if you want to meet up, you can shoot my bow or I can come with you to shop. Let me know.

Take a look at the Razors Edge by Diamond.

Diamond is part of the Bowtech umbrella. I bought one for my wife from Scheels all set up for around $300.

It doesn't have all of the high priced bells and whistles - sights, quivers, rests - like you COULD buy for a personallized bow, but it has adequate essentials to get you in the game. Right now we have it set at 45lbs for her, but I think it goes to 60. With the right arrow and broadhead weight and with good shot placement you'll beable to down most animals you'll be after. An 80lb bow is a little more forgiving and gets you more range, but it isn't completely necessry.

The Razor's Edge is great bow for a beginner IMO.

Fred Bear makes some nice entry level bows. The mission by Matthews is also a nice entry level bow.

As everybody else says, find a bow that fits you and feels good, shoot multiple bows. You'll find one you like better than the others. A good pro shopt will get you set up with your drawlength and everything else.

I also wouldn't be afraid of used bows. Most of them are well taken care of and you can great value from a used one. However, if you do go used, I would keep it withing the last 5 years, technology continues to rapidly advance in bows.

As others have mentioned, the term for beginners is "forgining". You want a bow that is forgiving and will accomodate you while you get comfortable learning to shoot, and finding your correct form.

Once you do buy it, the best advice is practice, practice, and more practice. I bet most of the people on here have already been shooting their bow for the upcoming season.