• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

what happened ?

Mr. Wizard

I'm traveling across the calm lake at full speed with my 50HP and the lower lower unit suddenly comes out of the water, prop spinning and then quits. As if I'd hit something but I'm quite certain I didn't. Now when I try to start it it sounds like metal parts grinding and won't start. Any ideas?

In order for the trim and tilt to allow the motor to come out of the water in forward at full throttle it sounds to me like you had to have hit something... I suppose the lower unit could have shelled out, locked up the prop and the sudden increase in drag could have done it, but it seems a little unlikely to me.

Either way, it sounds to me like you've got an issue with the lower unit... and not a small one. To verify you could remove the lower unit and see if the motor will turn over then... but it sure sounds to me like a trip to the dealer is in order.

marine_man

Last weekend I was fishing and drifted near a 2x4 that was about 8' long floating on the surface. I don't know what that would do to a boat/motor running at full speed (or a water skier) but I sure didn't want to find out, so I reeled up and threw the board into the boat and took it to the access where I dumped it off.

A couple of years ago I found a large post floating in the lake...more like a butt of a telephone pole. That surely wouldn't have been pleasant to hit. I grabbed one of my dock ropes and pulled it into shore.

Never know what is out there....

June2005005.jpg

I still think something in the lower unit just let loose. But, my wifes been encouraging me to buy a new boat for a couple years now so I guess it's time. Sounds crazy that she's telling me to get a new one but I just work too hard for my money to justify spending $25000 on a boat. Any ideas on anywhere I could get something for this one? 1987 Fisher with 50HP Johnson

I'll take some pictures and try the classified adds here

Does it have hydraulic trim and tilt? If not you may have broke the pinion gear, clutch dog, drive shaft or something along those lines, loosing forward pressure and the drag is what caused the engine to come up since it is not locked while in fwd. If you do have hyd TnT then M_M is right, you have had to hit something.

OK, you guys are the experts so I guess I hit something. I just hope it was a big old bowfin and not one of those Schells Beer Lakemaids. I'm sure if I had been close to Miss Walleye she would of jumped right in the boat with me though. Selling used boat AS IS and buying a new one for my early Christmas present.

M Man,

A little more advice please. What would that boat be worth Running vs. As is?

1987 16 1/2' Fisher Fish and Ski, casting platforms fore and aft w/ pedestal seats, 2 livewells, cushions for bow conversion, ski pylon, 1987 50HP Johnson. The boats in good condition for 20 years old, upholstery showing some wear. Then I know where to start for the classifieds.

Thank You

Well, I haven't been pricing boats for a while.. but I don't think getting an offer of $1500 is out of line for your boat, as is right now.

Running I think you could expect something closer to $2500 to $4,000 depending on finding the right person for it.

On the other hand, you might find a very mechanical person who'd be interested in a fixer upper that would pay more... it all depends I guess.

marine_man