• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Slugs in garden

Lund79

What do you use to get rid of slugs? I have them in my strawberry plants and noticed some in my lettuce.

I believe I have heard of people using stale beer but can't remember if it was for slugs.

Yep, just pour beer in low containers (the removable water catchment bases of plant pots work well for this). Result = dead slugs. You'll probably want three or four containers, depending on how large an area you are using, and of course the cheapest beer works as good as the good stuff to drown slugs. wink

Beer works great or get some some beer drink it while you mix up a batch of water and yeast in mason jars dig a whole deep enough so rim is an inch above grade and backfill. I like to set up a few rocks around and put a plate suspended over the mason jar to act as umbrella.

The slugs are attracted to the yeast.

Yep, just pour beer in low containers (the removable water catchment bases of plant pots work well for this). Result = dead slugs. You'll probably want three or four containers, depending on how large an area you are using, and of course the cheapest beer works as good as the good stuff to drown slugs. wink

Then what do you do with the rest of the case of lost lake or whatever that stuff is? I tried drinking some... at 10 bucks a case it was worth a try. But no buzz, no taste, no use.

Thanks for the suggestions fellas. I have some beer in the fridge that is not my brand so maybe I'll that since I don't want to waste the good stuff.

I might have to look into the cocoa mulch as the neighbor uses that around his trees.