• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Good Front Yard Tree?

toughguy

I have a green ash in my front yard. It's not that old so I figure it's not worth trying to save from the emerald ash borer. Plus I don't really like ashes anyways. I'm planning on just pulling it out and replacing it. What's a good disease resistant shade tree these days? I already have pin oaks and autumn blaze maples in the back yard so I'd rather not plant either of those. I also have evergreens in back and don't want one up front either. I'd like to plant something that will grow tall enough to eventually provide lots of shade. I was thinking Linden, Walnut, Mountain Ash (I heard EAB doesn't eat these), White Oak (less affected by oak wilt) new disease resistant elm or something else that someone here would recommend.

Thanks in advance for any help

Hackberry.

Lindens are okay. I don't know that I would ever plant one, but their nice. I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for since trees take a long time. I've been hearing about EAB since 2000 and its finally here. Its not impossible to avoid and treatments aren't that cost-prohibitive since your tree is relatively small. Mountain Ash are not ash trees really. They are like a large bush. They usually rot out before they get big (~20ft tall). A new DR Elm would be cool, but you'd have to start it pretty small cause they are still pretty new.

Walnuts are too messy, oak would take a lifetime before you got shade from it.

Honestly, a healthy tree is unlikely to be affected by most diseases. Only thing you can't prevent is storm damage. I stay stick with what you got. If you want to change, check out the hackberry. A very nice tree. Similar to elms, but no dutch elm. You can get them in any size.

I have a green ash in my front yard. It's not that old so I figure it's not worth trying to save from the emerald ash borer. Plus I don't really like ashes anyways. I'm planning on just pulling it out and replacing it. What's a good disease resistant shade tree these days? I already have pin oaks and autumn blaze maples in the back yard so I'd rather not plant either of those. I also have evergreens in back and don't want one up front either. I'd like to plant something that will grow tall enough to eventually provide lots of shade. I was thinking Linden, Walnut, Mountain Ash (I heard EAB doesn't eat these), White Oak (less affected by oak wilt) new disease resistant elm or something else that someone here would recommend.

Thanks in advance for any help

Hard to say without at least a few more specifics. First, do you really WANT tall shade trees in your front yard AND your back yard? Second, how is your home/yard oriented regarding cardinal directions? Third, if you don't give us a location, we can't say anything meaningful about what will and will not grow where you are. Indiana? Texas? Colorado? Maryland? Ohio? Minnesota? And where within the state?

As the guy in your avatar is fond of saying, better to do it right the first time than have to do it over, eh? grin

As a purely personal preference for a typical city/suburban setting, I like a home that has taller shade trees behind it and shorter landscape elements in front. There are any number of exceptions to this rule, but it's a "rule" for a reason. My feeling is it's better to show off a home from the curb, with front-yard plantings that are lower than the lowest roof line, allowing the eye to climb upward as it travels farther and farther toward the back yard.

thanks for the suggestions. I'm in the metro area and the tree is located on the west side of the house. I think I'll do some research on the Hackberry. Steve - you've got a good point on a tree overpowering the house too. Maybe I'll drive around some older neighborhoods and see what'll look good 20 -30 years down the road.

Ginko.

Really it is hard to say. It seems Maples are all the rage these days, but you already have one and want something else. Any idea of what kind of mature height and width your looking for? Type of soil?

tg, you might consider an amur maple. Short, distinctive growth height-wise (something like 20 feet or so if memory serves), and the deep cut leaves turn a brilliant red in fall. It also makes a nice centerpiece around which to build a garden island on your lawn. Hackberry's a good idea, too. smile

Invasive? Yikes! That's what happens when you're out of the greenhouse/landscaping business for too many years! frown

OK, scratch the amur maple and substitute a pagoda dogwood. Another 20-footer that's easy to trim as a tree rather than a shrub, has a beautiful form and crown when in tree shape and really nice white flowers in June.