• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat cover advice?

mnhunter2

Why do you want a cover? Is it for while the boat is stored or while trailering?

I've posted on this subject many times. Covers are often a pain to deal with while trailering. It's an extra step when putting in and pulling out. Your boat is meant to get wet so a little rain during the trip is no big deal. Having the boat open often cleans out all of the natural debris that falls in (leaves, pine needles, etc.). I've never noticed an increase in fuel mileage when towing with a cover, and often an ill-fitted cover has the opposite effect. So if you are positive you want a cover, I agree that you should get a custom-fit snap cover.

Think about whether you really need one before dropping that kind of cash. Now then, a storage cover is a good idea especially if you store outside or in a pole barn that will allow birds to use your boat as a bathroom.

Lund makes a good cover for the Alaskan. It will be about 1/2 price of a custom, maybe even less than 1/2. The cover is heavy duty, waterproof, fits well and made for towing. It is good enough quality that it will be sold with the boat when you are done with it.

I don't agree that there is little use for a cover. If you live in Minnesota and fish a variety of lakes you are going to end up on a gravel road. There is nothing worse than a boat full of grit and it takes a long time to clean it out. I store lots of gear in my boat and Lund's compartments aren't the most water tight over a the long haul and the cover will help keep out the moisture. A cover also provides a good deal of security because your gear isn't sitting out for everyone to see when the boat is parked in a parking or hotel lot while you are on a trip. I also haul extra stuff inside the boat like tubes or camping equipment and don't have to worry about it blowing out. If I'm making a day trip and I have good road I for-go the cover, but I've also found a lot of use for one

My search for a new cover on my '98 Lund Pro Sport has brought me to a few different websites. iboats and wholesale marine seem to have quite a few. I called a few Lund dealers around the area and they told me that Lund doesn't make custom boat covers. They also told me that Lund only provides parts for boats 3 years old and newer. I was unaware of both, but I'm not sure if this is an accurate claim or not. It would be nice if Lund did indeed make a nice custom cover for all of their boats.

We just purchased a new Lund boat and had a custom snap cover made at Permatop in Mound, MN. It was finished in 2 days and it fits very nicely. It has 3 vents and poles to keep it nice and tight. I would recomend some kind of cover for the long trips for all the reasons that have been described in this forum.