• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Missing shots with flash...

As of now I only have the internal flash on my Xti and I get to a point when taking multiple shots in a row that it must be recharging and I can't snap any shots. If I buy an external flash will that help resolve this waiting game? I feel I am missing some good shots when this happens, especially trying to capture the baby smiling!! On top of that I find myself holding my hand in front of the flash so it bounces more off of the ceiling vs direct on the subject, which I think the external will help out with a lot.

When buying the external flash what specs do I need to consider?

There are a lot of factors that will effect flash recycle time whether its on board or external. How much power the flash is using to fire being the biggest. Battery type and life, whether you are using a external power supply, settings on your camera (ISO, aperture primarily).

The first factor to consider is price, how much are you willing to spend? How much control and power to you need in your flash (guide number)? Will it take an external power source for maximum recycle time? How much does the head of the flash tilt and swivel?

A higher power flash unit like the 580 will give you a slightly faster recycle time than a lower power flash like a 430. Also the 580 will allow you to fire before the flash is fully re-charge, don't recall if you can do that with a 430. An external flash with an external power supply should get you in the 1.5 second recycle time range. About 2-3 seconds with good NiMH batteries just using on board power on a 580. Use alkaline batteries and you can double those times. I don't recall if the 430 has an external port for an external power supply, I think both Steve and Ken have 430's so they may be able to answer that. Its rare to find a wedding shooter that uses lights that doesn't use external power both for long life and fast recycle times.

I also have the 430 and it will continue to shoot even when the flash hasn't completely recycled. My camera is always on burst mode and if I don't release the shutter quick enough, it will continue taking shots, even while using the flash.

Thanks for the info guys. Thinking about it a little more I think I am really needing some constant lighting options, although I really do need to get a flash sometime soon.

With the new baby I am on a tight budget for photo gear (who isn't?), but am really interested in portrait type photography now that I have a subject that really interests me!

I did go out this past weekend and purchased some white rip stop nylon and made a 4x5' diffusion using PVC, and also purchased some nice black velvet for a small (very small) backdrop. I played around with it the other day and will try to get some shots up soon. Set up a little make shift studio in the back yard using the sun behind the diffuser to light things and some tinfoil on a piece of cardboard a reflector (did I say budget?). This is my first time every really thinking about lighting....I have a ways to go to even really begin understanding how I should do things. I would like to get a good feel for natural light first....so I am guessing this is the first step. Now I just need to get out and shoot some more.

311Hemi,

Sounds like you are right on track with the learning curve. I would strongly recommend looking at a flash first before you get any kind of studio lights. Why?

- A flash with modifiers will do a wonderful job under most circumstances.

- Portability. You can bring a flash with you everywhere you can bring your camera. No need to worry about power sources, dragging lights, stands, chords, modifiers. You can go with your setup where your child goes, family function, at home, etc.

- Cost. You basically buy a flash and a chord to use it off camera if desired. Minimal equipment for maximum effect. You are already working with some DIY modifiers which is great.

- Learning to light with big lights. You will find life much easier learning to light with natural sources and one light. Once that becomes familiar you can add on more lights for more control.

Dan nailed it. Styles differ, but even in my wedding photography I don't use supplemental lighting. I can do everything I need with a single onboard flash or the onboard flash and one set up remotely on a separate tripod. I use the 580 as master and the 430 as slave in those situations.

Virtually all my product photography is done using ambient light, as well. When shooting from a tripod at a static subject, slow shutter speeds are no issue, and you can use diffusers and reflectors to do great product work if there's even a single window in the studio.

Buy Enloop batteries for what ever flash you get and you will not be disappointed. You can leave them in the flash and they don't drain.

They are expensive, but worth it.

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]